• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Immediate Dentures

E

Eilean

Hi I'm 27 years old and had to have all my top teeth removed yesterday. 15 of them!! I am so miserable. I can't eat and I find it hard to swallow. I dont have a clue what to do with my tongue. I thought the removal of the teeth was going to be the worst part. I was wrong! I'm supposed to remove the immediate Dentures after 24 hours but I can't. They are in so tight and haven't moved even slightly and I'm so worried about pulling blood clots from the wounds. I have an appointment today so the dentist can remove them for me. I don't know what the worst part of it all is. I'm really struggling. The drooling, not being able to speak properly, not being able to eat. Please someone tell me this will improve! That long term I won't regret this. I didn't have a choice really. I feel utterly hopeless.

Hi Eilean,

sorry to read about how much you struggle with the dentures. I can't even imagine how scary and frustrating this must be. Good to read that you are having an appointment today so that your dentist can help you take the denture out. Having all teeth out and getting used to dentures is a big task for your mouth and your tongue and your face muscles, they have to learn to move differently and also your mouth has to get used to having the denture in. Another thing is that your gums are healing after the extractions and will go throught a lot of changes in the next days which can make it more challenging to get used to the denture. What I can promise you is that this will change. Please do not let your current situation discourage you, no matter how miserable you are right now, things will get better.
You might find it helpful to look for some success stories about dentures here on the forum, I do remember there have been a lot of posters who went through the same situation and I also remember they were all fine after some time.
Here is an extensive article about dentures from our Dental Info section. You might find some useful information there: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/faq/dentures/

All the best wishes, keeping my fingers crossed for your dental visit to go well today and keep us posted.

.. and one last thing: Give yourself a pat on the back for having the procedure done, I am sure it wasn't easy and required a lot of motivation and courage.

I am sorry to hear about your situation. I hope your appointment went well today and the dentist was able to get the dentures out, and reassure you that it will get better.

He did manage to get them out. Very frightening but I'm finding I just need to continue. No matter how hard it gets. He taught me how to remove them myself and made me do it myself before leaving. I've taken them out twice whilst at home to clean and it does feel better for a while after cleaning. I have a sore spot though which will hopefully be corrected on Monday. Thank you both!!
I'm sure it will get better. Just the awful adjustment period. So much I just didn't imagine. I'll check out article Enarete, thank you again for such a supportive response.

Hi I'm 27 years old and had to have all my top teeth removed yesterday. 15 of them!! I am so miserable. I can't eat and I find it hard to swallow. I dont have a clue what to do with my tongue. I thought the removal of the teeth was going to be the worst part. I was wrong! I'm supposed to remove the immediate Dentures after 24 hours but I can't. They are in so tight and haven't moved even slightly and I'm so worried about pulling blood clots from the wounds. I have an appointment today so the dentist can remove them for me. I don't know what the worst part of it all is. I'm really struggling. The drooling, not being able to speak properly, not being able to eat. Please someone tell me this will improve! That long term I won't regret this. I didn't have a choice really. I feel utterly hopeless.
I am 62 and going through the same thing. I had upper and lower! I came hear for support. You gave it to me by saying this. I thought it was just me. Fearing the bottom ones are going to come out when I talk is so overwhelming.

Back