• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Immediate removal required due to risk of nerve damage

L

lws

Hi all,

I had an appointment with the dentist today, which was my first in a few years. This is a free examination which is part of my employment package.

As I expected, my two fillings need replacing. What really shocked me was that the dentist said I needed both of my lower wisdom teeth extracted at the earliest possible opportunity. Now I know that they haven't come through properly and are difficult to brush, but I have never had a problem with them in the 20 years they have been there due to pain or anything else.

I kept pressing the dentist as to why they need to be extracted and her answer was that the tooth may eventually hit the nerve which controls my mouth and leave my face paralysed! Of course this has freaked me out no end, but I cannot find any evidence of this happening to anybody else.

I will be getting a second opinion from another dentist soon. She also informed me that electric toothbrushes which rotate are really bad for your teeth and shouldn't be used :hmm:

Has anybody else ever heard of wisdom teeth damaging nerves?

Thanks!

I myself had past experience of frequent dental visits while growing up, followed by many root canals. I am 25 now and do have mild case of dental phobia (if running out the dental office in each visit considered "mild").

I can tell you that I am currently waiting for either surgery or another root canal on tooth #13, in this case its an infection spreading and eating away of the bone area from what one dentist tells me. Now, to be permanently paralyze I doubt but would understand your concern and I have sympathize with you.

All I leave to you is BE STRONG and COURAGEOUS! And prayers to you for we may see the victory in it all. The end results (brand new set of teeth, A NEW SMILE;D) I mean that in the most encouraging way as possible!

love & peace,

Belinda

Hi WELCOME to the forum lws :jump::jump::jump:

I have never heard of this but I am not a dentist so that doesn't mean anything.

Hopefully one of the dentists on here will be able to help you, you could try pming one of them.

I would most certainly be looking for another dentist, one that would explain things to me and that I could ask question of.

I have used an elec toothbrush for years and I wouldn't want to go back to using a manual one. I have never heard that they do damage even the dentists on here recommend them.

Let us know how you get on please. Sorry it has taken so long to welcome you :oops::butterfly:

Hi all,

I had an appointment with the dentist today, which was my first in a few years. This is a free examination which is part of my employment package.

As I expected, my two fillings need replacing. What really shocked me was that the dentist said I needed both of my lower wisdom teeth extracted at the earliest possible opportunity. Now I know that they haven't come through properly and are difficult to brush, but I have never had a problem with them in the 20 years they have been there due to pain or anything else.

I kept pressing the dentist as to why they need to be extracted and her answer was that the tooth may eventually hit the nerve which controls my mouth and leave my face paralysed! Of course this has freaked me out no end, but I cannot find any evidence of this happening to anybody else.

I will be getting a second opinion from another dentist soon. She also informed me that electric toothbrushes which rotate are really bad for your teeth and shouldn't be used :hmm:

Has anybody else ever heard of wisdom teeth damaging nerves?

Thanks!

In short -change dentist

Back