• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Impacted Canines/eyeteeth/fangs

H

HappyKat

Hello!
I have what I believe is impacted canines, where the teeth sit higher up and in front of the rest of my teeth which appear to be pretty straight to the untrained eye. Those teeth appeared around 13 years of age; I am now 24. I haven't talked to a dentist about them in years, but the last dentist said that there were usually 2 options for treatment: pulling the two canines out, or pulling out 2 teeth underneath and then applying braces to pull the canines down. I was wondering if someone could provide details for the current and common treatment options. It's quite difficult to find information about this online and I have not had a chance to meet with a dentist recently.
Thank you greatly!

Still the same options really. Extract them or orthodontics to reposition them. There's pros and cons for each which you'd need to speak to a dentist about after they've seen your mouth.
They're not impacted if they're in your mouth btw. Just being pernickety, sorry :)

Thank you for your quick reply! I apologize, I am not too familiar with the technical stuff about my mouth (lol) but I read somewhere that the canines sit high and can't erupt into place b/c my teeth are impacted, or something along those lines. All I know is I have some teeth sticking out that I hate haha! I would love to have the canines pulled out, but it seems like that isn't a common option and now I've read that it can alter the structure of your face and that scares me a bit. Either way, I plan on seeing a dentist, I just was curious about what feedback I would receive until that point.

Back