• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Impacted Molars and Difficult Extraction

M

Msashleyw2010

Good afternoon!!

I recently started going back to the dentist after several years of not going. I have a lot of crowding in my mouth and I would like to eventually get braces. My wisdom teeth have already been removed but I have two molars in the bottom that needed to be removed because they are impacted and there's not enough space for all of my teeth. Cleaning went well!! No anxiety in the chair which I was really worried about. But when I went to have my molars extracted it was a completely different story. It took them 45 minutes to remove one molar. I guess I wasn't expecting this. I was asleep for my wisdom teeth and when I had my top molars extracted it took two minutes for each side. I started having a full blown panic attack in the chair and I almost felt like I couldn't swallow because of the anesthesia. I didn't want to do the second tooth because it was too much all at once. The dentist said she would use laughing gas for me next time and that it would help calm me down so that the next one won't be as bad. I know this needs to be done but I am so nervous and anxious just thinking about a potential repeat. I am in pain and on antibiotics and I'm not sure when I should schedule the next appointment. I feel like I should let my existing extraction site heal before undergoing another one. My sister said she thinks I should consider going to see someone that can put me under but I don't really like the idea of that either! I wish I could just calm myself down and looking back I wish I'd have just gotten it all over with!

I am so sorry your experience was so traumatic! I was put out for my wisdom teeth extractions as they were going to be difficult extractions.
I have had dental implants put in on my lower back two molars on one side and my front tooth. The oral surgeon did the front tooth extraction and implant at the same time he did the implant on one of the lower molars. It was a very long procedure and I had laughing gas. That made a HUGE difference! I know there was some tugging and I vaguely remember the surgeon pushing and pulling at my jaw to get the right position for cleaning out the upper tooth area after extraction (there was an abscess and a lot of bone that had to be cleaned out). The nitrous relaxes you so that you are kind of in what I see as a dream state, like right before you fall asleep and you can be somewhat aware of what is going on but you don’t really care, if that makes sense. It was the only way I could get through having teeth extracted, difficult or not.
Good luck!

I am so sorry your experience was so traumatic! I was put out for my wisdom teeth extractions as they were going to be difficult extractions.
I have had dental implants put in on my lower back two molars on one side and my front tooth. The oral surgeon did the front tooth extraction and implant at the same time he did the implant on one of the lower molars. It was a very long procedure and I had laughing gas. That made a HUGE difference! I know there was some tugging and I vaguely remember the surgeon pushing and pulling at my jaw to get the right position for cleaning out the upper tooth area after extraction (there was an abscess and a lot of bone that had to be cleaned out). The nitrous relaxes you so that you are kind of in what I see as a dream state, like right before you fall asleep and you can be somewhat aware of what is going on but you don’t really care, if that makes sense. It was the only way I could get through having teeth extracted, difficult or not.
Good luck!

This is very reassuring!!! I am probably going to wait a bit on the second one. Recovery has been kind of rough for me and part of it is the anxiety from feeling a bit traumatized. I have some fillings I need to get done so I will probably do those first just to have some tinier less stressful experiences and hopefully that will prepare me for the next one.

I didn’t realize laughing gas worked so well. I know I’m a big mess when it com3 to dentalwork.

Back