• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Impacted wisdom tooth extraction

S

Scrach

Hello! I’ve been lurking on the forum for the past few days, but hoping to get some advice.

I am day 6 post op for an impacted wisdom tooth (it was lying horizontally). It was removed under sedation, which they said was tricky and took about 45 mins, but no huge complications.

I am still in quite moderate/severe amounts of pain - this especially worsens at night. I am taking ibuprofen/paracetomal every 4 hours and dihydrocodiene in the evenings and overnight. Also using ice, as heat makes it worse, and corsodyl. Is this normal? The codeine is making me nauseas/sedated/constipated which isn’t much fun and i’m concerned about what the ibuprofen could be doing to my stomach?

I went to the dentist yesterday after 5 nights of climbing the walls in pain (deep, radiating pain in my jaw bone) and no more than 2 hours sleep a night - they numbed my mouth to give me a break and cleaned it out/removed some of the stitches. There are still 2 stitches on my gum line which each have an ulcer on them and feel so tight and sore. The dentist said it doesn’t look like there is any infection, just a lot of bruising and swelling still. As soon as the numbing injections wore off the pain was back 10 fold.

When will this get better :( I’m exhausted from the pain and was supposed to go back to work tomorrow.

Thank you in advance x

Oh day 6. That my friend is a rough day indeed.

It it sounds like you are doing everything right.

You should be at least a little better in a day or two.

I think you will soon see rapid improvement. Keep us posted.

Thank you for your reply, I really hope so, the pain is reducing me to tears :,(

Thank you for your reply, I really hope so, the pain is reducing me to tears :,(

So sorry that you are in so much pain. Have you tried an over the counter topical gel for numbing? My stomach doesn't handle pain meds either. Make sure you're taking them with food as that can help reduce any risks/ upset stomach. My regular doctor told me this and it does seem to make a difference. Also make sure you are taking them with plenty of water. This can help with the constipation sometimes if you drink a full glass or two of water with the pills. I hope you feel better soon!

I had all three of my wisdom teeth out at the same time because two of them were impacted and giving me a ton of pain to the point where I also could not sleep at all. Once I had them out, though, there was very little to moderate pain that was handled easily enough with painkillers (pretty sure they gave me norco/vicodin). I am surprised to hear you're still having so much pain! I wonder what it could be? If they are dismissive of you, try to see if you can get a second opinion or ask if they can do another x-ray to make sure there's nothing accidentally left behind? Maybe where the tooth was impacted created an issue with the tooth next to it and now that it is exposed it is hurting a lot? Perhaps you will need work done on that tooth? It's worth looking into. I hope it feels better soon. :)

Hi Scratch, that sounds terrible. If I were in your shoes, I would absolutely go back to the dentist. Having such a pain is not normal and there must be something your dentist can do for you. All the best wishes and keep us posted.

So sorry that you are in so much pain. Have you tried an over the counter topical gel for numbing? My stomach doesn't handle pain meds either. Make sure you're taking them with food as that can help reduce any risks/ upset stomach. My regular doctor told me this and it does seem to make a difference. Also make sure you are taking them with plenty of water. This can help with the constipation sometimes if you drink a full glass or two of water with the pills. I hope you feel better soon!

Thank you!!! The numbing gel was a life saver, it let me get a few hours of sleep and was better at relieving the pain than the mess!

I had all three of my wisdom teeth out at the same time because two of them were impacted and giving me a ton of pain to the point where I also could not sleep at all. Once I had them out, though, there was very little to moderate pain that was handled easily enough with painkillers (pretty sure they gave me norco/vicodin). I am surprised to hear you're still having so much pain! I wonder what it could be? If they are dismissive of you, try to see if you can get a second opinion or ask if they can do another x-ray to make sure there's nothing accidentally left behind? Maybe where the tooth was impacted created an issue with the tooth next to it and now that it is exposed it is hurting a lot? Perhaps you will need work done on that tooth? It's worth looking into. I hope it feels better soon. :)

Hi! I’m so glad that you had a smooth recovery - it’s good to hear that it isn’t like this for everybody. I went back to the dentist yesterday morning and they removed the stitches and gave the ulcers a good clean. She just said that I still have a lot of bruising and swelling inside my mouth, likely due to a difficult extraction, and that if it continues into next week to come back for X-rays. She said it didn’t look like infection or dry socket!

Hi Scratch, that sounds terrible. If I were in your shoes, I would absolutely go back to the dentist. Having such a pain is not normal and there must be something your dentist can do for you. All the best wishes and keep us posted.

Thank you, I have a long term chronic pain condition and that is nothing compared with the pain that I have had with this extraction, I don’t think this is normal recovery at all. Stitches are out, I’ve been advised to give it a few more days over the weekend and go back on Monday if still the same!

You are well on your way, my friend. I like your chances.

Hang in there, and keep doing the right thing.

We are looking to updates soon. Keep us posted.

Back