• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Impacted Wisdom Tooth out with I.V Sedation

B

barrycuda

Former Member
although i do not have any dental phobias i would just like to share the experience with all the would-be patients that are scared of going.

only had to get the 1 wizzie out but a lower distal impacted one. I went for the IV sedation just so it is over quicker and not having to constantly worry that iam not 100% numb while he is working on me.

sat in the chair, they hooked up the blood pressure and heart beat thingy. then he put needle in vein on back of my hand but that was nothing more than a little prick. then he put a syringe full of some steroid or something in which helps with recovery afterwards. then they waited little bit then put in a syringe full of that sedative stuff. made me feel a bit light headed/dizzy sort of. next thing i remember is he is doing something in there (cant remember any cutting noises as the tooth had to be cut through into sections) and then i can remember him picking the parts of the tooth out of the jaw. then i watched him clean the area and stitch it up, i was watching the needle and thread but i didin't care about it. before i knew it it was over, besides a little light headed i could walk/see and talk sweet as.

the only thing i have no clue about is what happened in between having the iv inserted to him picking bits of tooth out of my jaw. the part where i get local anesthetic and having to wait for it to take affect before he can start working on me i have absolutely no recollection about.

its like 4 hours now since my appointment began and its been 100% pain free. i'm already on painkillers and antibiotics so once the local wears off i should be not too bad. half the lower jaw on the side he was working on is still numb at this stage.

i was thinking this was going to be a terrible experience while waiting for them to call me into the room but i must say it when i left the room and payed the bill it was nothing like i had expected. A pleasant experience even.

Last edited by a moderator:
well its like 30 hours since the surgery and besides having a hamster cheek on the side that was worked on i have absolutely nothing to complain about. there was no post-op bleeding or pain. i did start off taking some pain killers but i'm already off those as there is no pain anyhow. only taking some antibiotics against infection and voltaren against inflammation.

Back