• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Impacted wisdom tooth pain

I

Itsanne

Hello everyone, I'm a 26 year old woman who still has all my wisdom teeth. Only 1 is causing trouble. My bottom left one grew in weird and the past week my jaw and tooth have been hurting. I was told awhile ago that I needed it removed but I'm terrified of surgery! I have a appointment next Thursday to have it looked at and to talk about surgery. I'm very worried. My main fear is anthesia..I want to be awake the whole time. I'm also stressed about the price because I don't have insurance. In the U.S what is the estimate for 1 wisdom tooth removal? ? what can I expect during surgery?

Do you have health insurance (and just not dental)? Sometimes health insurance will cover impacted wisdom tooth removal. I think costs vary widely from area to area and surgeon to surgeon. As far as anesthesia, I had all 4 of my impacted wisdom teeth out with local only.

Hi Itsanne, like FearfulInMA, I had all 4 wisdoms out in one session with just a local and it was fine. I didn't feel a thing and was awake. The anxiety before the procedure was the worse. If I got it right, you are just going to get looked at and find out the price on Thursday so it might be good to keep concentrating on the fact that they are not going to treat you yet, but give you any information you need to know to get ready for the procedure.

What to expect during a surgery: mine was was very quick, after numbing there was some waiting time for it to take effect. After that there wasn't much - through the numbing you feel that someone is going on but cannot discern what exactly is going on, you only have sounds and see that instrument are used, but no physical discomfort involved. In my case the dentist said we were done and I didn't even realize. If I knew it was so easy, I wouldn't have put it off for so many years..

Back