• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Implant Crown Pain Normal?

J

jenyang

Hi all,

I've never had a crown of any sort so I'm hoping to get your expert opinions on whether this is normal:

I had an implant crown put in on my lower right molar (tooth 31?) on Tuesday. It was really painful when the dentist was torquing the abutment/crown on and I had to keep asking him to stop to let the pain subside a bit before continuing. That day, I was on ibuprofen around the clock and had a lot of pain/soreness and throbbing in the area. The back of the tooth kind of feels like when wisdom teeth are growing in (I'm guessing the gum was pushed by the crown?)

The second day, I woke up due to the pain and had to take ibuprofen for half of the day. The throbbing persisted but at a lower intensity. Flossing in the area between the crown and the next tooth hurt, as well as the side of the crown with no tooth next to it. I called my dental office dental and the assistant told me she would like me to come in to check out the area because some patients have tissue overgrowth.

The third day, the pain got better. I no longer have to take ibuprofen but the area is still sensitive when I brush my teeth. I have not flossed yet so I don't know if that will be painful. When I touch the side of my cheek along the jaw area where the crown is, it is pretty sore. My dentist called me and told me not to come in but to go see a periodontist to check out the gum tissue instead.

My question: Is this normal? How long does the pain/soreness for an implant crown take to go away? I'm hesitant to go see a periodontist if this should eventually go away because I've used up all my benefits for the implant crown + abutment and would be paying completely out of pocket (especially if this requires some sort of procedure to cut the gums).

Thanks!

typical pain that MAY occur when placing a crown happens for maybe 10 minutes due to pressure on gum.
I heard of one patient once who claimed they had pain for two days. You are the case with the most pain the longest I have ever heard so yes go check it out.

I had no pain during the process or torquing or putting crown one.. and actually I was frightened of this, and not afterward that I remember at all. I really hope things get better for you quickly..

Yes this happened to me on one of my implant crowns, it really hurt the first night but it ended up going away after a few days. I think it was the irritation of my gums when the abutment was screwed in. I’d go back to your dentist if it pain is worse

Back