• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Implant Failure Concerns

L

lleigh26

Hey..

Thanks For Anyone Who Takes The Time To Reply..

I’ve Suffered With Dental Anxiety For Years Now & OCD Is Getting The Better Of Me Recently Regarding Dental Implants!! To The Point Where I’ve Been Waking Up Shaking With Dread ?

Can Anyone Tell Me If They Have Had A Implant Fail & How They Realised It Had Failed..?

Also Can An Implant Fail In The First Week Of Being Inserted..?

Laura xx

Hi Laura,

Whilst I have not had an implant fail in my mouth, I have had a few fail that I have placed in my patients.

You can divided them into two groups, early failures and late failures.

Early failures
These are where the implant does not "take" or integrate as dentists refer to it. This can occaisonally ocur within a week. the implant may simply come lose and fall out. This may or may not accompanied by soreness and localised swelling of the gum. This happens in less than 3% of placements. The area is left to heal and then a scond attempt is made which is generally successful.

Late failures
Here everything goes fine for a few years then the problems start. The patients may notice swelling or gum recession around the implant or have some soreness. Typically pain is not present. More commonly it is the dentist that notices something isn't right. The gum looks slightly swollen and when probing around the implant there is bleeding and pus coming from under the gum, or bone loss is spotted on a routine x-ray. Sometimes, it's just a matter of improving the cleaning around the implant and sometimes it becomes very complex to try to retrieve the situation.

Thank You For Your Reply.. If An Implant Falls Out Within A Week & It Has Been Done In Conjunction With An Extraction.. Can Dry Socket Occur..? Laura xx

Thank You Gordon xx