• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Implant Failure x 2

M

Moonbeams26

Hello!!
I hope I can get some help : (( I am a VERY VERY anxious dental patient, I sweat and shake before each visit. So my following story was really difficult for me. I had a tooth extracted because it broke, upper maxillary molar. My dentist suggested an implant which I was very happy to try. (When I smile you can see the space ) I am 46, non-smoker, no bone issues, not diabetic and in good oral health. After extraction she started the process, ( Almost positive she placed a bone graft) I followed her instructions exactly. I went in to have the healing collar place, it was very painful and she stopped, the implant came out. She said that it did not intergrate with my bone, I was told it happens sometimes. So we decided to try again. Said maybe there was not enough bone to support the implant. This time she placed a bone graft. I again followed her instructions to the tee. I went in for a cleaning and to check the site, she said too much bone grew, so she opened the site, took some out and stiched it closed. I went back for the healing collar, she took x rays said everything looked great. I went back yesterday for the final step, I was getting my tooth!! She started, then stopped, said there was an issue. No tooth today, she numbed the site, opened it and removed the implant, it did not intergrate again, said tissue grew between the implant and bone??? She said I have two options, wait 6 months and try again, or a bridge. I am so upset!! This has been in process over a year. My anxiety level, the stiches, mouth rinses, dental visits (loss of time at work) discomfort, money, all for NOTHING!! I really dont want to attempt a 3rd try. Should I get a second opinion?? Ask for my money back?? Bridge? Please Help : (

Moonbeam,

I just read your story and am so sorry for what you are going through with your implants. I would be anxious too with all this.. its anxiety producing enough to go through with no complications. Have you went anywhere else for a second opinion? maybe a prothodontist? I can totally understand how this is a bit overwhelming . to put it lightly.. I know for me , my integration did take longer , and it was fine after I waited additional time . So maybe it would be worth the wait.? but doesn't hurt to get another opinion?

No easy answer here.
First off implants don't always take. Almost always bone quality is poor. It is unusual it didn't take the second time as typically we are more conservative in our approach the second time.
It is reasonable to obtain a second opinion.
It is also reasonable to request either your money back or have money payed applied to a bridge. It is also reasonable for your dentist to ask for release on liability when you receive this credit or money.

Moonbeam,

I just read your story and am so sorry for what you are going through with your implants. I would be anxious too with all this.. its anxiety producing enough to go through with no complications. Have you went anywhere else for a second opinion? maybe a prothodontist? I can totally understand how this is a bit overwhelming . to put it lightly.. I know for me , my integration did take longer , and it was fine after I waited additional time . So maybe it would be worth the wait.? but doesn't hurt to get another opinion?
how long did yours take to intergrate?

I Had it placed in May, then went back end of August and it wasn't integrated and dense enough so we waited until around end of October . So it was about 6-8 week wait after the first check. I ended up getting my final implant in December. So it wasn't a super long wait but a bit longer than expected .. I'm glad my dentist was really careful at waiting though .