• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Implant failure?

L

LittleLynnie

I have already lost two implants to peri-implantitis, and now am having problems with a third. The other two only had pain very much like gum disease and one was very loose. The current implant though, is rock solid, and hurts with every bite I take. I can also cause that same pain myself, but pushing on the tooth from front to back. Is this another failure happening, or is this possibly a bone infection? I'm very worried if it could be the latter!

I have already lost two implants to peri-implantitis, and now am having problems with a third. The other two only had pain very much like gum disease and one was very loose. The current implant though, is rock solid, and hurts with every bite I take. I can also cause that same pain myself, but pushing on the tooth from front to back. Is this another failure happening, or is this possibly a bone infection? I'm very worried if it could be the latter!
I am obviously not a dentist but just wanted to say I am sorry you have had failures with implants already. I have four implants currently and have had pain with all of them, but no failures (yet).
The last time I had pain on biting, my oral surgeon said sometimes a bit of food, like a seed or gristle from meat will get stuck under the crown and cause pain when biting. Mine wasn’t that, but just throwing that possibility out there.

Thank you for your response. All of my failures were late ones, since I've had all of my implants for over 10 years. This particular one is about 15 years old. My two other failures occurred about 2 years ago. The suggestion of a piece of food stuck under the crown gives me hope! I'll be calling my dentist today and will hopefully get in to see him soon.

Thank you for your response. All of my failures were late ones, since I've had all of my implants for over 10 years. This particular one is about 15 years old. My two other failures occurred about 2 years ago. The suggestion of a piece of food stuck under the crown gives me hope! I'll be calling my dentist today and will hopefully get in to see him soon.
I really hope it is something simple like that. I haven’t had mine that long and long term failure is something I am terrified of. Mine are all less than four years old right now.
I will say that I had pain in my front tooth implant, in the gums when I ate, and a lot of sensitivity. The dentist checked it and found nothing. About a month later as I was flossing, I dislodged the edge of a piece of dental floss (not one I used), and managed to floss it out. It was a small piece about six mm long. It had apparently been in there since the hygienist had cleaned my teeth a few months prior, as it was the kind they used. After that, the pain went away. So stuff like that can happen.

That's sounds really encouraging! I booked my appointment today and they were able to squeeze me in on Friday. I hope that yours never fail.

That's sounds really encouraging! I booked my appointment today and they were able to squeeze me in on Friday. I hope that yours never fail.
Keep us posted! I hope you get good news.

Just had my appointment. There is infection and my dentist gave me antibiotics. He wants to see me again in a couple of weeks to clean the area, and my other implants, but unfortunately, this one is on its last legs. He took an xray and there is very little bone left. When we compared today's xray to the last ones, a lot of bone loss has happened in the meantime. He does feel confident that we'll be able to place another one though, either just in front or just behind, with a possibility of also augmenting the bone that is in those other spots.

I can't really say anything as I've never had an implant yet but i might be getting some in the future.

Dental technology has changed a lot in the last 10 years, actually even in the past 5 years its come along way.

I think implants now have a much higher success rate due to this change in technology. I think you should be ok getting them redone.

Just had my appointment. There is infection and my dentist gave me antibiotics. He wants to see me again in a couple of weeks to clean the area, and my other implants, but unfortunately, this one is on its last legs. He took an xray and there is very little bone left. When we compared today's xray to the last ones, a lot of bone loss has happened in the meantime. He does feel confident that we'll be able to place another one though, either just in front or just behind, with a possibility of also augmenting the bone that is in those other spots.
I am so sorry to hear this. ? Does he have any reason why this keeps happening to you?
If you don’t mind me asking, when was it checked the last time, as in the time distance between x-rays?

I am glad that you can get it redone! That is good news.

I am so sorry to hear this. ? Does he have any reason why this keeps happening to you?
If you don’t mind me asking, when was it checked the last time, as in the time distance between x-rays?

I am glad that you can get it redone! That is good news.
Yes, he believes that it is down to the brand and model used back in the day. He has other patients who are also losing those same implants, which go back 10 - 15 years.

The last two xrays were taken in 2018 and 2019, and the difference was quite shocking!

Yes, he believes that it is down to the brand and model used back in the day. He has other patients who are also losing those same implants, which go back 10 - 15 years.

The last two xrays were taken in 2018 and 2019, and the difference was quite shocking!
At least if it was the brand and model, you should be good with the new ones!
It is amazing how much bone loss can occur in a relatively short time, isn’t it? My front tooth had so much in a 2-3 year span.

At least if it was the brand and model, you should be good with the new ones!
It is amazing how much bone loss can occur in a relatively short time, isn’t it? My front tooth had so much in a 2-3 year span.
I hope so! And not just amazing, but depressing, how much can be lost, lol.

I hope so! And not just amazing, but depressing, how much can be lost, lol.
Yeah, I guess amazing isn’t necessarily the right word. I have a background in biology so even the depressing and scary stuff can sometimes fascinate me at the same time. Lol