• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Implant fears

A

alphabetstreet

Hi again, everyone, I recently started a thread regarding removal of a cyst/extraction/getting implants, and everyone was so kind and helpful that I wanted to ask for thoughts/experiences regarding the implant journey. I am now in the process of getting more implants than I anticipated (the bone grafts are healing right now) and in the meantime, I can’t stop thinking about how terrified I am of the metal “post” placement for these implants.

I can only do procedures under local anesthesia, and so far, this has been okay for me. However, during my last tooth extraction, the surgeon had to drill the tooth out of my head, and the drilling rattled my brain, made me incredibly dizzy and nauseous, and I freaked out (I also have a bit of trouble with the low-speed drill used in other dental procedures). So now I have been thinking, is that what the drilling for the metal post placement of implants is like? Is it like a straight hour to hour and a half for each post placement, with just nonstop drilling that you can feel ripping your brain apart? I have noticed that most people usually do this part under GA or with some type of anxiety-reducing drug, and I’m starting to worry that it’s just too difficult to do under local.

So for those of you who have been through it, could you feel the vibrations? If so, were they tolerable? Was it just a slight “oh, I can feel my jaw vibrating” type of sensation, or more of an overwhelming, entire-head vibration? And how long does the post placement usually take?

Thank you so much!

Alphabetstreet,

Hi, sorry I forget how many implants you are having .. I've only had one at a time. But I can say that the part with the putting the metal post , well the thought... really freaked me out. I've had one upper and one lower. It was a very quick process the actual putting the post part in. I only do local myself and honestly would be totally fine with doing several with just local. I've heard that it is totally doeable to do multiple implants with just local most the time , dependant on your preferance and individual factors..

The drilling wasn't too bad.. Now my dentist really did take his time with the whole thing making sure everything was good and perfect and he went slower than dentist that did the first one.. even at going slower its not a long part of procedure. I didn't feel a thing. being properly numbed. and they made sure I felt at ease . The drilling part was somehow quieter than I expected. and very local to the area the implants are going in so couldn't imagine an entire head vibration feeling . I would say this was completely tolerable. And now that I've had one done with this dentist, I would feel very much at ease to do more . For me the surgeries to put the posts in was not bad.

One advice would be.. The first time I did an upper and I was more scared and I looked while the dentist was doing it.. I vowed I wouldn't do it again, the next time I closed my eyes and it just gave me more peace.. Hope it goes well for you!

Alphabetstreet,

Hi, sorry I forget how many implants you are having .. I've only had one at a time. But I can say that the part with the putting the metal post , well the thought... really freaked me out. I've had one upper and one lower. It was a very quick process the actual putting the post part in. I only do local myself and honestly would be totally fine with doing several with just local. I've heard that it is totally doeable to do multiple implants with just local most the time , dependant on your preferance and individual factors..

The drilling wasn't too bad.. Now my dentist really did take his time with the whole thing making sure everything was good and perfect and he went slower than dentist that did the first one.. even at going slower its not a long part of procedure. I didn't feel a thing. being properly numbed. and they made sure I felt at ease . The drilling part was somehow quieter than I expected. and very local to the area the implants are going in so couldn't imagine an entire head vibration feeling . I would say this was completely tolerable. And now that I've had one done with this dentist, I would feel very much at ease to do more . For me the surgeries to put the posts in was not bad.

One advice would be.. The first time I did an upper and I was more scared and I looked while the dentist was doing it.. I vowed I wouldn't do it again, the next time I closed my eyes and it just gave me more peace.. Hope it goes well for you!

Hi, krlovesherkids777, thanks for the response!
I will hopefully, if finances allow, be getting 3 implants – two on the bottom (molars) first, and then one for a front tooth.
It’s so great to know I am not the only one who can only do local. I feel very alone in that regard sometimes. Luckily I found a surgeon who knows that I am terrified, yet doesn’t try to push anxiety-reducing drugs on me when I freak out (he was SO hard to find!)
I am definitely scared of doing this post placement with just local, but maybe it’s just scared of the unknown? But it sounds like, from your experience, that it should be an easy process; I am so happy to hear that you would actually get more done! How many have you had placed so far?

I have had one lower molar implant placed, and tomorrow I am getting another lower, and one for my front tooth. I am also getting an extraction and bone grafting for the front tooth at the same time. So I can let you know what that implant is like in a few days.
As far as the lower molar, it was done under local anesthetic, with nitrous oxide. I absolutely hate drills, but the implant was much different. More of a strong vibration and less of the high pitched whining and pressure. It was also very quick. It seemed like it took longer for the surgeon to open the gums than it took for the implant post to be put in.

Alphabetstreet.

3 sounds like a decent good amount like not too much, but nice for them all to heal together and be done at the same time. I think so many dentists and staff do assume that anyone who is anxious wants drugs or sedation. however I was talking to my previous dentist and he said "well Kelly I thought you'd want sedation since you are kind of nervous" when discussing the possibiily of getting all on 4 lowers.. I told him, it makes me less anxious to be more in control and knowing what is going on.. though If I had a driver I wouldn't mind lorazepam for just chill sake because it doesn't affect me other than a little relaxing and chill "... but anyways. just local is really great for me as long as they give me enough :). and my dentist now makes sure of it!!

I've had 2 placed so far.. and completed my upper it will be 2 years in December. and now I have my lower#20 I'm working on. I'm supposed to go in to get the healing cap anyday now but I don't have an appt yet.. soon though :). I think it helps my dentist is really relaxed and gentle and taking his time while doing work. that really helps me. but all in all the post experience is not too bad. and the weird thing to me is I have no idea I have metal post in my mouth , either upper or lower I do not feel as though I do. Its a very natural feeling. I'd never know if I didn't know :).

Wishing you all the best in your experience with this.. Sounds like you have a dentist that understands you though, trust goes along way in these unknown procedures.. I know that fear of the unknown is HUGE trigger for me!! Thankfully the dentist that took me through the first implant was a saint. now he's moved onto different type of dentistry so passed me to a friend but he may also qualify for saint :) so far he's been amazing.

I have had three implants, placed separately; two front teeth and one molar. The last two (front tooth and back molar) were done under local only because I had to drive after the procedures and there were only two short drilling sessions for each implant. If implant posts were self tapping, I guess there would only be one drill session! I was properly numb and did not feel a thing.

I can honestly say it was a very quick process and in the scheme of dental things one of the easier procedures as a patient.

Had my implants put in may the op took 5hrs,but was under g/a tho.

I just got back from my front tooth extraction, bone grafting and implant. The implant was nothing. I had nitrous, but turned down low, so just enough to help the local anesthetic work better. There was a little vibration where he had to take out infected bone (mine was infected), then a little more and he said he was now putting in grafting. I didn't even really feel the difference. It wasn't bad at all.

That is so good to hear Mountain Mama!! Hope the healing goes fast and smooth!!

I really appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts and experiences. It sounds like it shouldn’t be too bad of a procedure, overall, just sounds really scary to have something drilled into your bone!

MountainMama, I am so glad to hear that your implant procedure went well…I also hope that you heal quickly!

I really appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts and experiences. It sounds like it shouldn’t be too bad of a procedure, overall, just sounds really scary to have something drilled into your bone!

MountainMama, I am so glad to hear that your implant procedure went well…I also hope that you heal quickly!

It definitely sounds scarier than it is. I thought the same thing before my first implant.

I second that , yeah the thought is scary..

Back