• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Implants and smoking history

D

DMSPeanut

Hi, I am looking at my options to replace two lower teeth. I was a smoker for about 15 years, i quit smoking about four to five years ago. I had a dentist tell me before I quit that she thought the rejection/failure rate was high for even ex-smokers as well as smokers so I could never consider implants. I am curious now if that is true and if your risk declines with time, as the cost of bridges are a lot more than implants. All the information i can find is for active smokers (which I was when she advised me of this). Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

Anyone who has read my posts know that I am strongly against smoking due to its many negative effects. But in your case you have quit for awhile and so if your general health is good then I don't know why you couldn't have implant therapy including bone grafting as needed.

Great news! Thank you!!

Back