• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

In Full Panic part 2

G

gillis42

I left more details on full panic. I need support, I feel like :cry:

I read your previous topic and I'm in the same situation...Waiting for my first appointment, after many years.

For five years I also had a broken molar which had been removed, but that wasn't my worst experience at the dentist's.
Anyway, you will talk about all the necessary work, the dentist will explain you all the things.

I am sure you can do it, good luck :clover::clover::clover:
Keep posting.:)

Hugs,
victorine

Last edited:
Hi gillis42 I have just read your other thread, I was in your position of having to see a new dentist last year after leaving a nasty one. I was a total wreck, I couldn't sleep and when I did drop off I woke up having nightmares, I couldn't eat, I just felt sick and I was shaking all the time. Crying with fear and I felt really ill.

The day of my appointment came and I don't know how I got through the door and down some stairs to the dentist room, I was shaking, I had pains in my chest, my legs felt like jelly, I couldn't get my breath, felt faint, and couldn't talk, I couldn't even think what words to say other than I am terrified.

I must have looked a state because the dentist ask me to take a seat and that he wasn't going to do anything yet. He asked me details like date of birth and about my medical history and if I had any allergies, I was sat sideways on the chair so my feet were still on the floor, when he had finished he asked if he could have a look just with a mirror. I agreed and was still shaking but he was so patient and understanding, he had a look and took some x rays. That was all, all the time asking if I felt okay to do the x rays etc... no treatment or anything I had to go back for that, but the first visit really is a meet and greet and a look if you feel up to it, like letsconnect and others said in your other thread.

It is hard not to be totally stressed out by this but if you just get yourself to the appointment and let the dentist do the rest on that day, you may be surprised, do explain that you are nervous/petrified and only agree to what you feel you can deal with.

It will be okay, after you will feel so good, I was walking on air for days after my first appointment and others have felt that way too. Explain what you are afraid of.

Best wishes, it will be fine :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::bear::bear::bear::bear::bear::bear::bear::bear::bear::bear::bear::bear::bear::bear::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

gillis 42

Just popping to give you a :hug4:for your appointment.

You are nearly finished with the worst bit - the waiting. You are nearly at the point where THINGS WILL GET BETTER. Do not keep replaying scenarios of what MIGHT happen in your head. Take one step at a time. Wake up, get ready, breathe, get yourself there somehow, anyhow. Even if you have to be carried in. You will only be looked at gently, any further progress is up to you. But get that first visit under your belt. It will relieve the stress to a huge degree.

Five months ago, I was where you are now. My legs almost refused to work going out of the house. But I knew I had to do this thing. I am off on holiday in a minute with my new fillings, crowns and 4 extractions. First time in 20 years I can smile at and talk to people normally on holiday. I enjoy taking my teeth for their "firsts"!

The very, very best of positive vibrations coming your way. You can beat this! You deserve to be free from the terrible stress and darkness. You are taking the first step.

I shall log on as soon as I get back to read your :jump: post. Baby steps.

toucan

Enjoy your holiday Toucan, and let there be many firsts for your 'renovated' mouth.

Back