• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

In Need Of Serious Help

J

jatay1985

As you all know, i was diagnosed with early periodontitis. I started using the mouthwash that night and last night (a day later) i noticed my gums got less inflamed as well as no bleeding occurred. In fact, the only time ive noticed bleeding was at the dnetal office when they probed. Im.l not sure of the exact measurements but they mentioned that i was not going to lose my teeth because i had very minimal bone loss. They told i needed to wait a few weeks to hear back about my deep cleaning claim to my insurance company. How likely is it that they misdiagnosed me?

I'm not a dentist, so I could be wrong. But from what I understand, periodontitis is characterised by bone loss which can be seen from an xray. The diagnosis of periodontitis is given when there has been bone loss.

Bleeding gums is a sign that the gums are inflammed but it does not always mean one has periodontitis if the gums bleed. I have read that there is no cure for periodontitis because you can't reverse bone loss. One can only manage the condition so it does not progress.

I'd think it is good if your gums are no longer bleeding, because it means they are no longer inflammed. If you are doubtful of the diagnosis you were given, perhaps seek a second opinion?

Not quite, the bone loss can be detected by probing, usually you use probe and x-rays to confirm the diagnosis.

If there's bleeding on probing as above, then there is active disease.

I'm not a dentist, so I could be wrong. But from what I understand, periodontitis is characterised by bone loss which can be seen from an xray. The diagnosis of periodontitis is given when there has been bone loss.

Bleeding gums is a sign that the gums are inflammed but it does not always mean one has periodontitis if the gums bleed. I have read that there is no cure for periodontitis because you can't reverse bone loss. One can only manage the condition so it does not progress.

I'd think it is good if your gums are no longer bleeding, because it means they are no longer inflammed. If you are doubtful of the diagnosis you were given, perhaps seek a second opinion?

Back