• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Infected Wisdom Tooth & Terrified!

S

sweetpeasmommy82

Hey guys, I'm new here.. I've been having on and off pain with my lower right wisdom tooth for a while now. Then this past week, it became extremely excruciating to the point I was waking up every 30 min to an hour. I originally thought it was just impacted but last Friday night I went to put some ambesol on it and felt the abscess bubble on my gum. I went to the ER and was giving 500 mg penicillin 4x a day. I started taking it Saturday morning. I have an appointment tomorrow with my dentist to get it pulled but I'm terrified that the infection is still too bad to pull. I feel like it's improving but I'm still in some pain... I'm most worried that the infection will spread during the extraction. I've read so many horror stories about wisdom tooth extraction but I'm extra afraid because mine is infected....

Hi Sweatpeasmommy and welcome to the forum. I replied on your post on the other board, so here I will just say good luck at your appointment tomorrow, you will be fine.

Hi!
From what I've been told I think its 48 hours on antibiotics and you're "good" in that the infection shouldn't complicate things tomorrow. You've also been on them to prevent anything from spreading and have plenty in your system by now to help prevent that from happening too. I know you are dreading it but you'll feel so much better when it is over. Good luck tomorrow. Please let us know how you did.

Hi!
From what I've been told I think its 48 hours on antibiotics and you're "good" in that the infection shouldn't complicate things tomorrow. You've also been on them to prevent anything from spreading and have plenty in your system by now to help prevent that from happening too. I know you are dreading it but you'll feel so much better when it is over. Good luck tomorrow. Please let us know how you did.

Thank you both so much!!!! I went to the dentist, she told me I'd be fine to get the tooth out because of the antibiotics. The actual extraction took less time than the three shots of novicaine took to numb the area (was only a few minutes) I'm still very numb, I'm sure it'll hurt a lot after but that'll be manageable! :jump::);)

congrats! I'm glad it went well and now you can heal and feel so much better! if you take some ibuprofen while you are still numb it will help it hurt less and keep the swelling down. also if you don't lay flat but prop your head up on 3 pillows that will help keep swelling down too. the less you swell the less you will hurt. you can also apply an ice pack 15 minutes at a time. wishing you speedy healing

Back