• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

infected wisdom tooth

S

sweetpeasmommy82

My wisdom tooth has been bothering me on and off for a little while now. I thought it was pain due to still growing through my gum.. last week the pain became excruciating and I found a bubble near the tooth so I went to the ER. I was given 500 mg penicillin every 6 hrs which I started Saturday morning. I'm finally sleeping better but I'm still having some pain. I have an appointment tomorrow, Hopefully to get it pulled but I am extremely afraid of complications if the tooth is still infected by tomorrow which I'm thinking it still is. I've heard so many wisdom tooth horror stories, is it actually to dangerous for me to get this tooth pulled tomorrow if it's infected still or am I safe because of the antibiotics? It's my lower right wisdom tooth

My wisdom tooth has been bothering me on and off for a little while now. I thought it was pain due to still growing through my gum.. last week the pain became excruciating and I found a bubble near the tooth so I went to the ER. I was given 500 mg penicillin every 6 hrs which I started Saturday morning. I'm finally sleeping better but I'm still having some pain. I have an appointment tomorrow, Hopefully to get it pulled but I am extremely afraid of complications if the tooth is still infected by tomorrow which I'm thinking it still is. I've heard so many wisdom tooth horror stories, is it actually to dangerous for me to get this tooth pulled tomorrow if it's infected still or am I safe because of the antibiotics? It's my lower right wisdom tooth

Tomorrow will be your 4th day on antibiotics so they will be able to numb you enough to remove the tooth. don't worry, you will feel better without it. You will continue finishing the antibiotics after the extraction

Tomorrow will be your 4th day on antibiotics so they will be able to numb you enough to remove the tooth. don't worry, you will feel better without it. You will continue finishing the antibiotics after the extraction

Thank you! I'm brand new here, but not sooo new with dental dilemmas. My phobias make it so hard for me to be a normal dental patient. I have massive anxiety, emetophobia, and this overall fear that the penicillin won't be strong enough and the infection will spread. My teeth completely suck but I've never been in as much pain as I am with this wisdom tooth. That bubble is still there too, which freaks me out even more

I am exactly the same way. I am in the middle of possibly a failed root canal and have an appointment tomorrow too, so we can be appointment buddies lol.
Try not to worry too much, your infection won't spread while you are on antibiotics. You will be a little sore after the extraction but it will not hurt nearly as bad as the pain of the infection you've already suffered with.
Penicillin is almost always the first choice for dental infections. If they suspect it isn't working for you they will give you something else.

I am exactly the same way. I am in the middle of possibly a failed root canal and have an appointment tomorrow too, so we can be appointment buddies lol.
Try not to worry too much, your infection won't spread while you are on antibiotics. You will be a little sore after the extraction but it will not hurt nearly as bad as the pain of the infection you've already suffered with.
Penicillin is almost always the first choice for dental infections. If they suspect it isn't working for you they will give you something else.

Thanks again!!! And good luck to you tomorrow as well! I never normally let an abscess go more than a day or two without going to the dentist but I had to wait because I was also blessed last week with a nasty cold! So I've been in so much pain. I can't wait til it's over... til next time Lol:)

thank you, and do post an update tomorrow and let me know how your appointment went.

Back