• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Infected wisdom tooth

N

nicface26

So my top wisdom teeth have all come through fine, and my lower left tooth was coming through okay, until about 7 weeks ago. The gum got infected while I had a cold, so I just put the taste down to things tasting weird because I was ill. Ended up in agony over a weekend and had to get an emergency appointment. I was given Amoxicillin 500mg to take 3 times a day for 7 days, and the infection went fairly easily.

Fast forward to last week, the gum is infected again, except I think I caught it early enough that it hadn't started to be painful yet. I had another emergency appointment, and the dentist (not my usual one) tried to x-ray it but couldn't manage it without making me gag. He said he thinks there isn't enough room for it, but I'm not 100% willing to accept that verdict as he didn't even x-ray it. He prescribed me Amoxicillin again for 3 times a day, 5 days, 500 mg. I now only have 4 more Amoxicillin to take and the gum above the tooth is still oozing gunk out of it, is this normal? I think I'll wait until I've taken all of the antibiotics but it doesn't look like they've touched it.

Very paranoid and frightened about going back to the dentists as I am terrified of it being removed. I suffer with anxiety and panic attacks and honestly think I will have to be referred for sedation, but am worried that I'll be so wound up that the sedation won't work for me :( Any advice would be gratefully received!

Hi :welcome:to the forum.

The antibiotics won't cure this problem. They calm things down enough for the dentist to be able to get us numb to be able to do the treatment we need.

I am not a dentist but it does sound as if you need this tooth extracting. The wisdom teeth serve no purpose other than to cause us problems for most of the time.

Make an appointment and ask to be referred to have the tooth removed if that is what the dentist advises. The problem will keep returning until you have it treated.

I understand your fear but it isn't worth leaving it and hoping that the antibiotics will cure it, they won't. You could feel some relief at any time and I have even still felt pain right up until I have taken the last dose of medication. It will stay in your system for 7 days still working after you have taken your last dose, so it might start to feel like it is working then.

I hope you can manage to get yourself back to see the dentist and get yourself out of pain, or on the way to it.

All the best to you :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

Back