• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is very afraid of dentistry or who suffers with dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a general dental forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Infection advice

G

Getoutmymouth

I am currently waiting on a date for surgery for my impacted wisdom tooth. It has been infected 3 times since mid december. When i saw my surgeon he advised if it gets infected again to talk to my dentist about more antibiotics. I am waiting to hear back from them as that throbbing and pus leaking is back for a 4th time.

Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening? I'm doing salt water rinses after every food or drink, not that I can eat! Avoiding sugar, using corsodyl mouthwash, hydrogen peroxide mouthwash and using a water pik flosser.

I don't know what else to do. The gum is loose, but deep above the tooth. It's a rare one apparently. I can't stand this pain and am expecting my dentist to refuse my request for more antibiotics. Is there more I could do?
Thank you

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Nothing you can do. Your dentist might want to look at their antibiotic prescribing though to see if they can get something more effective.
Try putting the Corsodyl into the waterpik if you're not already doing this.

G

Getoutmymouth

Thank you Gordon. I have been using corsodyl watered down in the pik. I will start using it neat. My dentists prescribed amoxicillin twice and they then said it was likely a resistant infection. Their exact words were "we can give you more if you think they will help?"

I replied that I don't know, I'm not a dentist! They put me erythromycin which they have thankfully prescribed again today. I know metronidazole would be better, however I was hospitalised when put on it in the past so that's a no go.
This is prescription number 4 since dec 20th.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Sorry, been away on Grandad duty all week. How are you doing now?

G

Getoutmymouth

Hi Gordon. I’m hanging in there! Not sure the infection is 100% gone but now have my surgery date for the 14th which gives me a countdown of days in pain ??‍♀️

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Great, thanks for the update. Not long now :)