• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Infection after molar extraction

P

popsandrox

Hi all,

A week ago today I had an upper molar removed due to a deep cavity. It was still quite sore up until this morning, so I went to see the dentist and he told me it was infected. So he (supposedly) numbed me up and scraped and irrigated it, before putting in that gross clove-flavoured medicated packing. He said it might fall out after 4 hours or so, but it should be OK by then. I'm terrified about dry socket though, and judging by what I could feel during the procedure this morning, I'm worried that the bone is now exposed, and if the packing falls out, I'll have a dry socket. :cry: Is this a risk, or will the hole still be healed over partially, even if he did scrape and irrigate it? He gave me no antibiotics and said there should be no need to come back. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi all,

A week ago today I had an upper molar removed due to a deep cavity. It was still quite sore up until this morning, so I went to see the dentist and he told me it was infected. So he (supposedly) numbed me up and scraped and irrigated it, before putting in that gross clove-flavoured medicated packing. He said it might fall out after 4 hours or so, but it should be OK by then. I'm terrified about dry socket though, and judging by what I could feel during the procedure this morning, I'm worried that the bone is now exposed, and if the packing falls out, I'll have a dry socket. :cry: Is this a risk, or will the hole still be healed over partially, even if he did scrape and irrigate it? He gave me no antibiotics and said there should be no need to come back. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

hi,

it should settle down, try not to get any food in the hole & rinse with warm salt water after meals.

if your worried bout dry socket, you will soon no if you have it, its very painful ! :cry:

Thanks for the reassurance, definitely no dry socket so far!

It's been 48 hours since he put the clove packing stuff in there, and it's still there. Is this normal? Should it just fall out on its own or dissolve or something? I don't want any more complications due to it being in there too long or anything! The gum around it also feels quite tender, like it's inflamed, but I can't tell as it's quite far back. This might just be normal after what he did on Monday. Am I just worrying over nothing?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
the packing will slowly dissolve, thats fine.
It sounds like your dentist has saved you from a dry socket here so well done both of you

Thanks very much for the help!

Is it normal for it to still be sore, if the extraction was done 11 days ago and the disinfection was done 3 days ago? The gum feels a bit lumpy next to the socket and stings a little if I press down on it with my tongue. The tooth next to the socket also throbs a bit, to the extent where I'm taking Ibuprofen twice a day to get rid of it. I don't want to have to go back to the dentist for a 5th time if I can avoid it!

Thanks again!

Back