• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Infection, dentist made me switch antibiotics in the middle of a course, now it's worse D:

M

menchi

Infection, dentist made me switch antibiotics in the middle of a course, now it's worse D:

I will note first there has been a history of periodontal problems and many years where I barely brushed due to severe abuse (he wouldn't even let me get a toothbrush.) It took time but I got it all fixed and lost 2 teeth. I now take much better care of my mouth to avoid all of that and I even managed to basically reverse my periodontal disease according to the new dentist I saw once last year.

So over 3 weeks ago I started having some minor discomfort in my gums near my front left teeth. It really felt like my gums were inflamed so i tried harder to clean them and use my waterpik more. About a week later, a painful hard bump appeared on the roof of my mouth towards the front behind those teeth. I just suffered through it figuring it'd go away on it's own. I'm on state medical and dental was reinstated last year but it's really hard to find anyone who accepts it and I didn't want to drive an hour away to the dentist I saw last year.

But then about a week later, the pain spread to my very front left tooth. It hurt to bite down on it, I couldn't even bite soft bread. I found a dentist closer who accepts my dental and went to him. He kept mentioning I may need a root canal over and over and over. So I'm already in tears terrified I might die because of the infection spreading and he seems confused by the idea that it started in my gums and not my tooth, still thinks I'll need a root canal which doesn't make sense, there's nothing wrong with the tooth whatsoever.

Either way, he sent me home with a prescription for 500mg of penicillin to be taken every 6 hours for 7 days. A few days later, my pain was nearly gone! Woo! I was bad though and the day the pain was gone, I forgot to keep taking them so I missed 2 doses. The following day, pain returned. Pain left again a couple days later as I took my antibiotics correctly. I went to the dentist again with 2 days left of pills. He insisted that because I had any pain left at all if I bit down hard (in my gums, not the tooth) that it meant I needed stronger antibiotics and a root canal. It made me stop the course of penicillin and gave me cephalexin 500mg to be taken every 6 hours for 10 days. Well guess what? Less than a day after starting, my pain came back as bad as before. I've been taking them since Monday and this morning, the pain has spread a little to the tooth next to the affected one and to surrounding gums. My upper lip feels a little stiff and it hurts to touch from the outside (that's new!)

I'm too scared to call him and tell him because he will just want to root canal my tooth when I still don't believe it needs one. This started in my gums, weeks before tooth pain ever appeared, why would I need one? But I can't go on like this. I hadn't needed painkillers after a couple days of penicillin and now I need them constantly or I'm crying in pain and I only have one left. Should I just try to see my regular doctor or go to urgent care or something? I'm so terrified that I'm going to be bullied into a root canal I don't need.

M

menchi

Re: Infection, dentist made me switch antibiotics in the middle of a course, now it's worse D:

Bump?

I'm going to see this dentist again tomorrow afternoon and I'm terrified I won't be able to stand up for myself. I've been bullied into submission for over 10 years from medical professionals due to chronic health problems and I'm exhausted from fighting that over the last year. I've barely gotten anywhere even with fighting it. He kept saying OH BUT YOUR DENTAL COVERS IT DONT WORRY when I would question how he knows if I need one which seems really fishy to me. Please? Anyone? Something... :cry:

There's also pretty big swelling in the crease where my lips meet my gums right under my nose on the affected side. It's painful to smile and I can feel something almost an inch wide deep in there.

P

Prosopon

Re: Infection, dentist made me switch antibiotics in the middle of a course, now it's worse D:

Hello, I'm not a dentist so probably can't be much help but I wanted to offer you a bit of support. I'm so sorry to hear about the abuse and bullying you have suffered. It sounds like your instincts are telling you not to trust this dentist and maybe you should listen to that? Is it possible to get a second opinion, even if that means driving an hour to the other place? Maybe it would be worth the journey to get some peace of mind. I personally wouldn't get a root canal unless the dentist had clearly explained to me why they felt I needed one. I would definitely get a second opinion if I felt the dentist was being a bit fishy!

I was recently told I needed root canal treatment but I didn’t feel confident in the dentist so I saw another one who has now referred me to an oral maxillofacial surgeon for further investigation. It seems to me that different dentists take different approaches so it might be possible for you to find a dentist who will initiate a treatment plan you are more comfortable with. I think I may still end up getting root canal treatment but I am much more comfortable with this second dentist's approach than the first!

If the pain is so bad and causing you such distress now maybe it would be worth going to the urgent care place. I’m not sure what they could do exactly but they might be able to give you stronger pain killers or something. Can you call them before going, just to get some advice?

I wish you the best of luck and I hope this gets resolved and that you will soon be pain-free.

Last edited:
M

menchi

Well he basically told me that it's beyond the scope that his tiny office can handle and wants me to see a root canal surgeon he says? And he said I could try to see my doctor and maybe they can treat the infection first. He said it's an ingrained infection and it's not common but dangerous (he tells me this knowing how terrified I am and while I was crying.) Basically it sounds like I'm either going to die or somehow get surgery I can't afford in the first place. Thanks for replying though, it means a lot that someone did.

S

SallyUK

Well he basically told me that it's beyond the scope that his tiny office can handle and wants me to see a root canal surgeon he says? And he said I could try to see my doctor and maybe they can treat the infection first. He said it's an ingrained infection and it's not common but dangerous (he tells me this knowing how terrified I am and while I was crying.) Basically it sounds like I'm either going to die or somehow get surgery I can't afford in the first place. Thanks for replying though, it means a lot that someone did.
Hi Menchi
did you get your situation sorted?