• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Infection following removal if teeth and immediate dentures, please help!

C

chopster

Hi

Ive been lurking in this forum for some time. I finally worked up the courage to go to the dentist last year after 7 years of avoiding it, while my teeth decayed, broke, fell out and absessed. I never used to be phobic, but s couple of bad experiences just put me off for years. Reading some of the experiences on here reassured me, and I decided I had to do something about it. My front teeth were starting to fail, I couldn't smile any more, I just had to do something.

So anyway, several months later, thurs under GA I had the top completely cleared out, all the broken roots, one un erupted wisdom and the front teeth all pulled. The bottom I had four molars and one wisdom pulled.

All seemed pretty good to start with, but fri afternoon I started to develop an infection in the lower sockets. Yellow pus, etc. my glands and cheeks are throbbing and swollen. I've taken the lower denture out which helped a bit, rinsing with mouthwash and I was already on ABs but it doesn't seem to be getting any better :(

Should I put the lower denture back in? Or leave it out?

Thanks to anyone who has read this far!

Re: Infection following removal if teeth and immediate dentures, please help!

OMG you poor thing - I cant advise as I am not a professional, but the best thing I can say to you is can you get an emergency appointment anywhere - if you are in the UK can you contact NHS direct?

I hope you get things sorted out soon.

I personally think you should be seeing the emergency dentist. If you are in pain and you are getting those awful symptoms then don't leave it, thinking that it will just resolve. The antibiotics haven't stopped the infection appearing, so sounds like something else is needed and certainly an assessement of your oral health is needed. Let us know how you get on. :(

You could try going to A&E if you are in the uk.

I am not a doctor or dentist, but I have had my share of abcesses. In general if you have something draining you don't want to block it off. I don't know if you can eat without the lower dentures. If you can, I would leave them out and get an emergency appointment. If you can't see a dentist fast enough, a medical clinic might be able to treat your infection while you are trying to get to your dentist. If you can speak to a dentist rather than just a receptionist, ask the dentist what to do about your dentures.

You will be ok as long as you get this seen to quickly, but please don't wait. You don't want it to spread.

Thanks for the replies, Only just seen them. I took the lowers out and the swelling went down a little, but has pretty much stayed the same since. Two sockets are still yellow. I can't eat without the denture in since have empty sockets on both sides, so just putting them in to eat a little, then removing again. Not that I really feel like eating. Have already lost 4 kilos since the surgery on thurs.

I don't think it is an abcess, there doesn't seem to be like the bubble under the gum as with an abcess, but I think my glands are all swollen, my cheeks, etc. I think I prob have infection which has spread to the glands. I kinda thought since I was on abs, they should kick in sooner or later, but I think carys prob has a point, and I wonder if I do need to be seen! Argh! Last thing I want to do is see dentist now. Do you think a gp could treat me?

Its late now, so prob be dosing up again on various painkillers for tonight and try to see someone in the morning. :( managed to get hold of some prescription painkillers from a friend.

Last thing I want to do is see dentist now. Do you think a gp could treat me?

Um, I don't know, we are onto that 'fine line between the dentist and doctor' thing again. You could ring your doctor our of hours number and explain, tell them what antibiotic you are on and what symptoms you are getting...they may refer you to the out of hours emergency dentist though.

I know you really really don't want to see a dentist now, but the fact that your glands are up, and there is pus, indictates an infection being fought by the body - you could even have dry socket in two extraction sites ? Can you still see the blood clot in both or was packing put in both extraction sites ? I really think this should not be left, remember that when you do see the dentist they can treat/help the pain and stop things getting out of hand, they are not going to be doing any more surgery or major procedures, just help your extractions to heal quickly and successfully.

A GP doesn't have enough knowledge to treat this either go to A&E or ring the NHS Choices help line, you can even fill in symptoms on line, and a nurse from a hospital will ring you back, if after talking to you they think you need to see a doctor they will tell you where to go or what to do.

You really need to see your dentist but they are closed until Tuesday, if you ring your dentist surgery there should be an emergency number to call out of hours as well so you choose, but don't leave it. Ring someone now, soonest seen quickest mended. :o

You need to be seen by a dentist as soon as possible. You owe it to yourself. You are in pain. If you do not feel good about the dentist who did the work, and you have another option, go to a different one. If you cannot get an emergency appointment with a dentist right now because of the holiday, you can go to a medical clinic or the ER if you must, but see someone *soon* and if at all possible a dental professional. Remember, this is an infection in your head. That means you should not treat it yourself. It's not like a skin scrape that you can just clean out.

*hugs* I know you are phobic. I am too, and I have enormous sympathy for you because I am having a distressing dental problem on Easter myself, but you don't want that infection to persist or return. Common sense says that you don't mess around with a painful raging infection that is keeping you from eating much.

You will be ok, they can get rid of the infection. You may just need a different antibiotic for all we know. Very gentle warm salt water rinses may help with the pain. It helps draw the infection out. When I have had infections and have been told not to swish too hard, I just take a mouthful of warm salt water and tilt my head from side to side instead of using my cheeks to move the water. That might be less painful for you.

One socket I can def see the clot, the other just looks yellow.it's hard to describe, it doesn't look like a socket hole, it.s slightly indented, but not a deep hole and just yellow. I will have to google as I'm not sure what a dry socket would look like. Most of the pain is from the glands and the other side where I can see the clot though.

I feel really fed up tbh. The oral surgeon didn't want to put the immediate dentures in, saying i could do that later on Myself when the bleeding had stopped. I was worried about not being able to cos of swelling, talked her into placing the top ones, but left the lowers out til I got home. I then forgot to sterilise them (been very out of it because of the aneseathesia) and put them in which is prob why I got the infection. such a numpty. :(

I guess I will have to see a dentist tomo. Not sure how emergency dentistry works neither! Will I have to pay? I'm in the UK, with a NHS dentist.

Cross posted a bit. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm so tired, all I want to do tonight is sleep, but I promise I will get it looked at first thing tomorrow.

Tthe warm salt water really helps, read that on here somewhere, and have been doing that regularly.

You may have to pay a £17.00 charge for the exam. Your dentist should have and emergency number for you to ring on answer phone if they are closed tomorrow. If you see your own dentist you don't pay. Even if it is another one at the practice because it is a different dentist you may have to pay. If you don't usually pay for treatment you don't pay anyone, just take your entitlement form with you.

I hope you manage to get some sleep. Goodnight:sleep:

Back