• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Infection in wisdom tooth extraction site?

P

Prod1gy

So I am about 10 days post OP from having my wisdom teeth removed. All the extraction sites seem to be healing ok except for one.

The bottom right site was sewn shut, so there is no visible hole, this site was a complete bony impaction with a dentigerous cyst (as the pathology report said). The tooth in front of this extraction site, the gum on the outside is almost level with the tooth, after eating I always check to make sure there is no food around the sites. This past Thursday I noticed when I pulled my cheek open with my finger a gush of brownish (sometimes orangish) fluid came out from between the gum and the tooth. I can pull the cheek and make more come out. When I spit I definitely see some blood.

On Saturday morning I started to feel a little sick, by evening I was coughing up some green phlegm, Sunday morning and Monday morning the phlegm was really bad when waking up. So not sure if this is some secondary infection or something else.

I called my Oral Surgeon but waiting on a return call.

Well I went to the Oral Surgeon and sure enough I had an infection in the extraction site.

Here is the problem, when I went in for my 7 day followup and they told me to start cleaning the sockets, they didn't show me how to do it.

Basically they checked my sites and said they look ok, here are your syringes, clean the sockets after eating.

Well the socket in question was completely covered with skin, so when you look in my mouth there is no visible hole, it just looks like the gums.

There is a hole and stuff does get down in there, on the return he cleaned it and showed me how to do it, you have to basically slide the edge of the syringe under the gum and blow it out with water.

I had so much blood and particles come out, he went through about 6 syringes of water before it started to run clear.

Also prescribed me some more antibiotics and more antibacterial mouthwash.

On the mend finally.

Glad you got it taken care of and that it was a straightforward solution to the problem. Feel better soon!:party:

Back