• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Infection spreading to other parts of my body?

Y

yellowjujube

Hi everyone. I had a bottom molar that was broken for a long time and I just got the courage to do something about it recently. A little over a week ago I started amoxicillin because my gums were swollen around that tooth. It reduced the swelling and got rid of the pain, but after a week the swelling came back and got worse. I went to a dentist for an extraction, and I had an abscess on the tooth and she told me to take antibiotics for a week after the tooth was out. How necessary is it for me to take more antibiotics, since wouldn’t the infection have come out once the tooth was removed? Does this mean that the infection has spread to other parts of my face? I’m really worried. I was prescribed clindamycin but I haven’t started taking it, I’ve been continuing with what’s left of my amoxicillin because the side effects of clindamycin scare me to death even though the dentist and pharmacist both said it’ll be fine. The area no longer hurts besides a bit of soreness and the swelling has gone down drastically. Please give some tips!! :(

I'd go back to the dentist and ask again if you need the Clindamycin. Anything else from me would be pure speculation.
No, infections don't "spread" anywhere.

My first extraction was eerily similar to yours: I had an abscess and was prescribed the exact medicine after the procedure. I was told though that the combination of antibiotic and the actual tooth removal would cause the boil to shrink (And it did, it healed perfectly)

Clindamycin is a stronger antibiotic than amox, so I would advise taking it, but I wouldn't fret about infection spreading. You got it sorted, that's important

Back