• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

INFILTRATION to gum for bottom teeth extraction unlikely to cause nerve damage right?

G

gumdisease

I have a bottom molar pulled today, gum disease, doctor agreed to infiltration it just that he said he will have to inject alot of Lidocaine as the bottom jaw bone it harder to number than the upper jaw, but he said OK since I have bone loss due to gum disease.

So procedure went well, INFILTRATION, he numb around my whole tooth, I can feel the inject in my gum. He has to go to second cartridge of Lidocaine, but I don't think I overdose.

But anyhoo it been 2 hours later and my bottom lips and my bottom jaw is NUMB, like completely numb I can't feel my lower jaw and lower lips. This must be from Lidocaine with Epinephrine.
BUT unlikely Nerve damage right? Since it was Infiltration, he did not shot to my cheek to get to my nerve, it was deposit Lidocaine around my whole tooth.

Should I worry about the numbness on my lower jaw and lips? It will go away eventually, yes?

I have this fear of nerve damage since it bottom molar,. What are the chances of nerve damage use Infiltration?

I mean Infiltration method is not deep enough to cut a nerve right?

Hi, can a dentist confirm this for me, Infiltration vs Nerve Block, chances are Infiltration less damage to the nerve right?
I'm assuming Infiltration don't go as deep and straight directly to the nerve like Nerve block right?

I noticed he use 2 CATRIDGE of Lidocaine (I saw him put in a second catridge), the one with Epinephrine. He inject around my whole tooth, he needs a second catridge to go around my whole tooth deposit the Lidocaine.

ugh.. I dunno why I'm so obsess with Infiltration due to my fear of nerve damage, but what are the chances of Nerve damage with Infiltration? It is same as Nerve block for lower jaw?

what are the chances of Nerve damage with Infiltration? It is same as Nerve block for lower jaw?
Zero.
No, it's not the same as a nerve block.

@Gordon

I keep getting the hands tremor shake after the Epinephrine (it does go away after an hour or so, so it not permanent), but oddly my dentist office only has Lidocaine with Epinephrine, not Lidocaine only.
I was depserately to get the abcess tooth out so heck Epinephrine it is.

I will try to find another dentist office that has Lidocaine only (without Epinephrine), but the thing is this dentist hand is good, he gentle.
Is Epinephrine that dangerous to your system?
It so odd, my whole body not shake, it just my hands shake after Epinephrine get to my body.

And my other question is, I have first molar and second molar bottom jaw both need to come out, gum disease so bad that the dentist say the bacteria is eating my bones and gum abcess can't hold my tooth together anymore.
I was a chicken scare of overdose so yesterday I got the first molar out only, the second molar still in there.

I WILL need to have this second molar out too but I told him next month as I want the first molar extraction site to heal as the gum will be tender.

How long should I wait for the extraction first molar gum to go heal before get the adjacent molar remove?

Thank you Sir. Dentist Gordon.

I don't know what Infiltration technique this dentist did but he inject the needle all round my gum, like 8 shots total going slowly around the gum of the whole tooth front and back. He did bend the needle before inject me.

I have the nerve block before so I know how nerve block is, omg, it went straight through your CHEEK like the whole needle go deep in your cheek to reach the nerve. omg, my whole upper LEFT side face was numb like ICE for like 6 hours.
But it was ONE injection only, doesn't need multiple shots like Infiltration.

Due to I see how far the needle go in my cheek with the Nerve Block, I afraid if it break it will stay in my cheek soft tissues then I have to get to hospital for surgery to remove it.

Since then I keep as for Infiltration, as I see at most if it break the needle will stick out of my gum (hopefully). But I rather have they cut my gum open to dig the needle out if it break than cut my cheek open to dig the needle out.

But Infiltration is like 6-8 injections going all around the whole tooth front and back.

Based on this, my guess is Infiltration required ALOT more Lidocaine deposite than Nerve Block right? As Nerve Block is only one shot straight to the nerve and that it. Infiltration is multiple shots going around and around.

Last edited:
Based on this, my guess is Infiltration required ALOT more Lidocaine deposite than Nerve Block right?
No. About half as much normally.

ok Sir Gordon, this not really make sense, let me explain why. I remember when I had my nerve block the doctor inject ONE shot only deep into my cheek, and it was quick shot, bam done.

BUT with Infiltration I get like 6-8 shots around my gum around my whole tooth front and back, and each time is prolong injection, I can feel the pressure of the needle on my gum as he press the syringe inject Lidocaine to my gum, and it 6-8 shots total around my whole tooth.

So how can it be less Lidocaine? Are you saying soft tissues like the gum don't absorb as much Lidocaine as the Nerve Block to the cheek? But gum or cheek, it still soft tissue, it will go in the blood and liver get rid of it.

How many times did the dentist reload the syringe?
Are you saying soft tissues like the gum don't absorb as much Lidocaine as the Nerve Block to the cheek? But gum or cheek, it still soft tissue, it will go in the blood and liver get rid of it.
There's less space to put the liquid into in the gum area. It takes more pressure to get in because of this and the total amount used will be less.

Back