• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Inflamed gums a month after hygiene appointment

E

Ellie123

Hi,
I last visited my hygienist a month ago, back in May, and she said everything was looking good. I was pleased with myself because I've been working on improving my oral hygiene since having gingivitis back in November 2020.

I always floss, use interdental brushes and mouthwash, as well as usual brushing twice a day.

But for the past week my gums have been inflamed worse than ever! Particularly around upper back molar, but all gums feel inflammed.

Could it be that the gum around back molar is infected and spread to other parts of mouth? The tooth itself is pain free to touch, just the gum around it is tender.

I brought one of those wisdom tooth brushes to help clean back there and it does seem to have reduced soreness and tenderness.

However, I feel embarrassed and ashamed and a bit bewildered that only a month after last hygiene visit I may need to go back. And I'm scared it's infected, or gum disease.

I'm going to try and book appointment with dentist tomorrow, but I feeling pretty low. How do I deal with this?

Could it be that the gum around back molar is infected and spread to other parts of mouth? The tooth itself is pain free to touch, just the gum around it is tender.
Nope, doesn't work like that.

Chances are you're not quite getting your cleaning done right there, it's a tricky place to get to as access is difficult.

Don't let it get you down, you can't expect to be perfect at this immediately, it takes a bit of practice and you've got years of bad habits to overcome :)

Nope, doesn't work like that.

Chances are you're not quite getting your cleaning done right there, it's a tricky place to get to as access is difficult.

Don't let it get you down, you can't expect to be perfect at this immediately, it takes a bit of practice and you've got years of bad habits to overcome :)
Thanks, Gordon :)

Back