inflamed ligament pain...sensitive tooth...second opinon?

K

ksc1968

Hi, Over the weekend I started to develop tooth pain in a few teeth...eventually a hot bowl of oatmeal led me to the exact tooth. By Monday morning the tooth was so painful that my tongue grazing it hurt. I got into my dentist first thing Monday morning and the xray was normal, no signs of decay (the tooth is already crowned), cold sensitivity tests were normal (except that it took the crowned tooth longer to feel the cold due to being porcelin). Then the dentist noticed the tooth ( first bicuspid, next to eye tooth) was pushing out and said he thinks its tooth trauma. He shaved it down and my pain was decreased by 50% immediately. I asked him about the pain in my upper root area in my cheek area, that hurts when pushed or moved in a certain position, and he said to give it 2-3 days as the ligament is inflamed.
Heres where my question comes in.... So the pain is much better, but the tooth is still mildly sensitive to pressure, (actually the tooth next to it is now too, but the dentist did tests on that one too) but the cheek is freaking me out. First I look swollen, second if I push on the outside of my cheek next to my nose there is this awful pressure feeling and discomfort, like fluid moving around, third when I go inside my mouth and run finger up along root tips and push I get the same uncomfortable pressure pain feeling. What is that? Is that normal? Im wondering if I need to go back or get a second opinion. Id hate to have a abcess in there spreading into my face! But then if I had an abcess wouldnt there be pain that is increasiing in nature, not decreasing?
THanks for any advice

K

ksc1968

Nevermind...I went to a new dentist to get a 2nd opinion and Im so thankful I did. It turns out I have a failed root canal from years ago that has abcessed over 3 teeth...Starting Clindamyacin and getting a new root canal next Wed once the infection clears up a bit.

brit

brit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nevermind...I went to a new dentist to get a 2nd opinion and Im so thankful I did. It turns out I have a failed root canal from years ago that has abcessed over 3 teeth...Starting Clindamyacin and getting a new root canal next Wed once the infection clears up a bit.

Sorry I was leaving that one for a dentist to answer. Your second opinion doesn't surprise me. Best wishes for a successful retreat - is this with a dentist or endodontist?
http://www.dentalfearcentral.org/faq/root-canal/

K

ksc1968

Re-treat is with a endodontist....the original rc was by a dentist...he said it was easy as it was a single nerve tooth, but it took him 3 visits and I ended up with a infection, treated with antibiotics and draining (horrible pain as I wouldnt numb)......Since then I have had my other rc with an endo and it is sooo much better!
Do you know how they get all of the infection out of the root tip? Will the anitbiotic do that? Im worried I wont numb like last time. Hopefully clindamyacin will heal it enough in a week that I will be able to numb!