• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Information on Sedation

B

batalia

Glad I found this forum. I need to get two wisdom teeth pulled and one root canal done all at the same time. The dentist I'm going to doesnt off IV sedation only Halcyon with Nitrous oxide. My question is how effective is this sedation concerning pain levels? I had my other wisdom teeth pulled out with IV and I wish I can get it done like that becase I don't remeber a thing.

You shoulden't have any pain even without sedation.

Halcion won't do anything to pain. Nitrous might. But as Mikey said, you shoulden't feel anything even if you didn't take neither. Why would you want to relieve non-existing pain? If you have IV again, you will always need it. You won't unlearn your phobia if you remember nothing about the procedure. Take the Halcion and nitrous and trust they will work. Good luck!

Nitrous never worked for me. Just makes me more anxious. I'd get a different dentist that does IV, many do it. That's just me. I am a big chicken.

You are not a chicken.

I had my wisdom teeth removed sixteen days ago and was totally knocked out for the procedure. It was great, because when I woke up it was all done.

I admire people who manage to have extractions done without any form of sedation, but I don't think I could do it, so you're not alone!

Best of luck

Katx

I get laughing gas for every visit and I definitely recommend it. The only time I didn't get numbed for a procedure was the cleaning and from what I recall (my memory is usually vague because the laughing gas helps you relax and you're able to think about other things then what they're doing) you can feel them cleaning and such but I can't recall pain. Mind you, this was a cleaning after eight years of not going!

Nitrous works really well for me.:cloud9: This link might help:

Back