• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Injection for upper incisors

• Thread starter Former member 4870
  • Start date
F

Former member 4870

Former Member
Whenever a dentist gives an anesthetic injection for the upper front teeth, is it possible for the needle to enter the nose or does the needle actually penetrate the nasal canal?

It's possible but it would need a dentist with a remarkable lack of skill and terrible eyesight :)

Mr. Gordon, thank you for your reply. It's a reassurance to know that I don't have to worry about those injections going wrong from a competent dental professional. Before I posted my inquiry on here, I searched on Google but for some reason didn't find many answers. If I may ask a follow-up question, it sounds like you're saying that it's unlikely that the needle would enter the sinus cavity. However, since the nose is so close to the upper front teeth, how does a dentist safely inject there without it actually going into the nasal area?

Get a needle into the sinus cavity? I don't think that means what you think it means :)

In terms of not injecting into the nose, the idea is to deposit the local anaesthetic solution close to the apex of the "target" teeth. So you'd angle the needle to about 45 degrees while aiming for a spot about 1.5cm above the gum line, it's hard to see how you could get it anywhere near the nose from there. I've never ever heard of anyone doing it.

Okay, that clarifies matters and makes me feel much better! I trust my dentist because he's experienced and knows what he's doing, but I just wanted to make sure my fears were unfounded. I appreciate your kind, thoughtful, & detailed responses.

Back