• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Injection site pain?

S

Sarah77

Hi there! I had a root canal on a lower back molar (third from the back) on Thursday evening. Never infection just an inflamed nerve. After the tooth feels great—slightly tender to bite but the pain and aching I felt before is gone. Gums a little sore from the dental dam but otherwise great.

But immediately after the block wore off I felt an aching way beneath the tooth at the area where the gums meet the jaw/chin/cheek. Just above the hard bone and down into the chin. I hope that makes sense. It is most tender there way beneath the tooth but spreads a bit up and down from it along the length of the jaw. Tender to touch and also just sensitive on its own. Feels like a really tender bruise almost. I woke up thinking it would feel better today but it feels the same.

I will of course call my endo Monday morning (they are closed Friday to Sunday) but am wondering if I should be concerned or if this is just soreness from The procedure or injections itself. I’ve been icing and that feels good. Any other ideas to help this heal?

Thank you!

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much about it and you're doing the right thing :)

Gordon, you’re the best. At first I was worried it was infection but then my rational mind kicked in and said, there was no infection before the procedure so there wouldn’t be infection immediately following it.

it’s amazing how worried these things can make us.
Thank you.

also, how long would you expect this pain to continue?

Sarah, I came here to ask about similar pain saw your post. I had two root canals a week and a half ago. Two days ago I went in for crown prep and had about five injections - two next to the first upper molar, two near the first lower molar, and one at the very back behind my wisdom tooth. Yesterday I noticed when I press on the outside of my jaw there is a sharp pain and it will cause an ache to radiate up into the gum near the tooth that was worked on. I’m hoping this is simply from the injection and it will improve. So this is very similar to your story. And I’m worried about infection, too!

Laura, we could be dental Twinsies this week. ?. I spoke with my Endodontist and he confirmed what Gordon said. It’s just pain from the injection site. He recommended ice and ibuprofen and said it would calm down in the next week or so.

How are you feeling?

Laura, we could be dental Twinsies this week. ?. I spoke with my Endodontist and he confirmed what Gordon said. It’s just pain from the injection site. He recommended ice and ibuprofen and said it would calm down in the next week or so.

How are you feeling?

I’m honored to be dental twins with you! I think we are even complaining about the same tooth (#30, first molar from the front). As long as I don’t press on that area of my jaw, I’m fine, but I find myself wanting to test it, so I keep aggravating it. If I leave it alone, I’m sure it will calm down. Now, if I could just stop worrying about every little dental thing, it would be great. Thank God for this forum!

Oh, and Sarah, I forgot to mention that my root canal was tender to biting down, too. That has improved with the temporary crown and I expect it to resolve with the permanent crown. Keep us updated on how you’re doing and I’ll do the same.

Just an update: my jaw pain has completely resolved, but it took a few weeks. The sensitivity to biting down is very minor and continuing to improve. What a relief!

I’m so glad to hear this, friend! Mine, too. I can still feel a few aches and twinges in those root canaled molars but for the most part I am on the mend! Yay for us!

Back