• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Injections in Palate area

F

FraidyCat

Former Member
Hi all! I've been lurking on this board for acouple weeks now and so far its been a big help. I had my very first dental appointment in 15 years last week! Lots of work to be done! I have surgery on Jan 4 to have 6 teeth out. 3 of them are completely impacted wisdom teeth and the other 3 are decayed teeth that need to be cut out!

Tomorrow I am having a filling in my front upper tooth and I am terrified. I have never had a filling. I told the dentist last week that I am frightened of needles, particularly in my mouth. What is really scaring me is that I am told that injections in the roof of your mouth really hurt. The dentist said he would use the numbing gel. WIll the numbing gel be very effective on an area as sensitive as the roof of your mouth?

I need a total of 9 fillings, all in my upper front teeth. The dentist is just doing 1 or 2 tomorrow to start out with something small. I know I will not sleep tonight! :hidesbehindsofa:

I will probably post tomorrow about how it all went. This time tomorrow it will be done and I'll be soooo relieved!

Hi there :welcome:, I just wanted to wish you all the best for tomorrow :grouphug:! Some people find that palatal injections are uncomfortable (because the local anaesthetic diffuses less easily), but not everyone finds that. There's huge variation from person to person, so just because someone else felt it hurt doesn't necessarily mean it will be the same for you. Some of it depends on injection technique, and the numbing gel should help as well :).

Please let us know how you get on tomorrow - will be keeping my fingers crossed for you :thumbsup:!!

I'm back from the dentist! Luckily, I didn't even get a palatal injection! He did it in the front of my mouth kind of where your gum meets your lip. He put the topical stuff on it first and let it sit for a while. Meanwhile the hygenist was telling me how good this particular doctor is at giving injections, so that made me feel better. When he came back, he took my lip and started tugging. I kept wondering if he had started yet because I couldn't feel anything. At one point I did feel a small pinch but it was so mild I didn't even flinch. (Hey that rhymed!) :p After about a minute or so, he was done. I can't believe I was so worried over that! He waitied about 5 minutes for me to get numb. Then he srted drilling which I could barely feel. He did use something that felt like a lower speed drill, not sure what it was. it feels weird but it didn't hurt at all. He did 2 of my eye teeth and it was all done in maybe 30 minutes if that long. The best part was that they let my husband be in the room too.

I asked when he could do the really big cavity in my front tooth and he said whenever I wanted to come in. he said it would be just as easy as today was and that he had an appt open for tomorrow if I wanted it. So I said sure, lets do it! I actually was hoping he could keep going today! So tomorrow I go back for 1 more and I'm not at all scared! :jump:

Thanks to the encouraging stories I've seen on this site, and the support of my husband, I think I'll get thru all the work to come better than I thought I would! :cloud9:

Amanda

:jump:Well done I'm glad to hear your appointment went so well.

Back