• Welcome to Dental Fear Central! This is a place for mutual support and any questions you may have that are related to dental phobia, fear or anxiety. It is run by volunteers with first-hand experience of dental phobia and anxiety together with dental practitioners who like to help. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dental practitioner. If you'd like to use all the features of this forum and share your own experiences, or if you are a dental professional who would like to contribute, register now.

We strive to promote a safe, friendly and trustworthy environment with our team of moderators monitoring all discussions daily.

Injections

T

tazey

Is there an alternative? a non medical person (who works at the hospital) told me there's a gel or cream they can use,if so what is it called so I can check the ingredients? (I'm in the uk)

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
No. Gel or cream can be used to numb the surface but not the teeth.

Enarete

Enarete

Forum Buddy
Injections do not have to be painful at all, @tazey. I know your dental team hasn‘t had awakened your trust up to now, but many dentists are familiar with techniques to make the delivery of anesthetic comfortable.

Judythecat

Judythecat

I had the gel when I had a root canal done by an endodontist - I think it is mainly used for children, but I am really scared of needles. I was able to get through the injections, even the one in the roof of my mouth, by concentrating on my breathing, squeezing something in my hand (I brought one of my cat’s bean-bag toys), and also keeping in my mind that they were going to mean the treatment was pain-free.

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Forum Buddy
I remember being deathly afraid of the anesthetic needles and wouldn't let any dentist near me with them.. my childhood dentist only used nitrious and no needles which was torturous basically. haven't had nitrous since. I kept those needles at bay until I was in dire straights needing some work from severe pain in a tooth and a dentist said I will not do the work if you don't let me give you this anesthetic and promised to be kind about it. Well. the way he said it was respectful, he took his time and Im glad I got the work needed done as I got relief.. as a first needle experience it wasn't bad. Never saw the guy again as I moved from college.. but.. I'm glad I took a huge step out of my comfort zone.. not easy..

You are a very strong person Tazey I personally think the needle is well worth it to get out of pain but it took me a long time and some very patient dentists to help me come to that conclusion.. Right now it seems as you have mentioned you feel unheard and basically unregarded and I'd be afraid to have any needles by that person.

T

tazey

I remember being deathly afraid of the anesthetic needles and wouldn't let any dentist near me with them.. my childhood dentist only used nitrious and no needles which was torturous basically. haven't had nitrous since. I kept those needles at bay until I was in dire straights needing some work from severe pain in a tooth and a dentist said I will not do the work if you don't let me give you this anesthetic and promised to be kind about it. Well. the way he said it was respectful, he took his time and Im glad I got the work needed done as I got relief.. as a first needle experience it wasn't bad. Never saw the guy again as I moved from college.. but.. I'm glad I took a huge step out of my comfort zone.. not easy..

You are a very strong person Tazey I personally think the needle is well worth it to get out of pain but it took me a long time and some very patient dentists to help me come to that conclusion.. Right now it seems as you have mentioned you feel unheard and basically unregarded and I'd be afraid to have any needles by that person.
They had a cancellation so have an appointment Monday now (still have one in feb but they said something about 6 appointments till i don't know what?) there's no way I'm having it done+I've said it enough times i hate needles you cant/don't just get over a phobia.

Last edited:
B

Birmanclaws

I ALWAYS have the numbing jell. I make sure I ask for it, just in case they think I can do without it.
It really helps with the initial sting of the local anaesthetic. The periodontist who placed my implants had the best injecting technique ever; he jelled my gums and injected a small amount of anaesthetic, went away and did something else and then came back and gave me a bit more. He did this a couple of times and the experience was totally pain free, even the one in the palate (which is only given for surgery). Once you are numbed up you do not feel a thing.

Good luck on Monday. Do you know what they are doing?

T

tazey

I ALWAYS have the numbing jell. I make sure I ask for it, just in case they think I can do without it.
It really helps with the initial sting of the local anaesthetic. The periodontist who placed my implants had the best injecting technique ever; he jelled my gums and injected a small amount of anaesthetic, went away and did something else and then came back and gave me a bit more. He did this a couple of times and the experience was totally pain free, even the one in the palate (which is only given for surgery). Once you are numbed up you do not feel a thing.

Good luck on Monday. Do you know what they are doing?
Thanks,no not really+it's first thing which isn't good as I don't sleep a lot so have to be up super early to get there.