• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Injured tongue help

Judythecat

Judythecat

Hello, can anyone help, please? Despite three jabs I got myself a nasty dose of Covid, and stupidly have scraped my tongue really viciously in a bid to try and get my sense of taste back. It looks raw, like I have scraped the top Layer of skin off, and it really hurts! Will it regenerate? Is there anything I can do? I was due a checkup when I was in Covid isolation so that has been rebooked for next month. Thanks so much for reading if you did.

(I still can’t taste or smell, and this is day 23.)

I don’t know about scraping it, but taste buds and the skin on the tongue does regenerate. When I had an allergic reaction to clindamycin, one of the things that happened was that my tongue and lips were completely covered in blisters. It was awful and my taste was gone for about a week until the blisters went away. It kind of “resurfaced” my tongue, for lack of a better word.

It'll sort itself out, the good news is that the tongue has a really good blood supply so it should get better quite quickly. Try some warm salt water rinse just to keep it clean other than that leave it alone.

Thank you both for replying. My tongue has been quite yucky and coated since Covid so I was just a bit over-enthusiastic with the scraper! I bought some Peroxyl today because I remembered my dentist recommending it when my wisdom tooth gum was up - is salt water better?

Not being able to taste and smell is absolutely rubbish.

Thank you both for replying. My tongue has been quite yucky and coated since Covid so I was just a bit over-enthusiastic with the scraper! I bought some Peroxyl today because I remembered my dentist recommending it when my wisdom tooth gum was up - is salt water better?

I hope you recover soon! I have been lucky enough to avoid Covid so far. My husband had it and lost his sense of taste and smell for about a month.

Like most over the counter mouthwashes it's pretty useless stuff. If you like it and you've already bought it you may as well carry on :)

I hope you recover soon! I have been lucky enough to avoid Covid so far. My husband had it and lost his sense of taste and smell for about a month.
Thank you- I have been surprised how sick I have been after three vaccinations. It is a really nasty illness!

Like most over the counter mouthwashes it's pretty useless stuff. If you like it and you've already bought it you may as well carry on :)
It’s actually much better now so the Peroxyl/salt water cocktail must be doing the trick.

Thank you- I have been surprised how sick I have been after three vaccinations. It is a really nasty illness!
My sister had both vaccines and the booster and got it and was sick for two weeks. It was two weeks spent in bed! She even got the antibody infusion treatment when she tested positive. My husband got it back before we knew that it was spreading in the U.S., so no vaccine yet. He has the best immune system I have ever seen and he was down for a week, in bed, then had a cough for a month. He never has been the same since. He gets migraines and has joint pain. I have no idea how I didn’t get it when he did.

Back