• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Injury from clove oil?

S

Sofia

A couple of weeks ago, I used some clove oil to sooth an irritated gum caused by biting down on a hard cracker around a back molar on my right side. I diluted the oil half and half with olive oil, but apparently the dilution wasn't mixed well because it really irritated the underside of my tongue and I could even feel it burn all of the way to the inside of my ear. I didn't use it again. The tongue irritation has gone, and the molar feels fine. However, there's a spot about the size of a big pin head on the side of the duct that is attached to the skin that ties the tongue to the floor of the mouth. When I looked at it in a magnifying mirror, it was smooth, oval shaped, slightly raised, and a reddish blue color. It looks a lot like the veins under the tongue, but not exactly.

I don't know if it's been there longer than the clove oil incident, but I don't think so because I would have noticed it when I was applying the oil--I think.

I have a dentist's appointment on September 22nd for a cleaning and evaluation for the work that I need to have done (gulp!). Any guesses as to what this is and how I should treat it? I'm taking antibiotics right now for a sinus infection.

Thanks for any information that you can give me. It's good to know that I can post a question like this without people thinking I'm being silly. :)

i would guess that it has probably always looked like it does,but you are only noticing it now. if it has been caused by the oil, then it will be ok anyway. get your dentist to look at it at the appointment, but it sounds to me like it is ok

Thanks so much! That's what I thought, but it's good to have a professional opinion. It would probably heal a lot faster if I'd quit flexing my tongue and looking at it every few hours. :)

Back