• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Inlay - when do I know it is OK?

S

Snowball

Had a large filling done in 2008 and re-done after it fell out, in 2011, re-done again in Feb/March. It hadn't been bothering me much or giving any real pain, just the odd twinge when biting down.

When I got a new dentist and mentioned it, she decided to take it off and have a look. Some cold air against my tooth to see if I felt it (seeing if nerve still alive?)

And then when she got into it, a piece fell off the tooth and she said she had found a small amount of decay. She suggested an inlay - if the nerve, which she said was very close to the deep filling - settled down. If nt - it would be RCT.

One sedative filling and 6 weeks or so later - few twinges, at the start then the nerve seemed to settle.

Next appointment, dentist took off the sedative filling and said the nerve seemed to have made "a complete recovery". Had impressions and then back today for inlay.

I had just one shot of LA today, as the rubbery temp filling just needed pulling off. But at some point I cold feel something very cold despite the LA, and only thought about it after I got out - so didn't ask about it after. Is the nerve likely to stay alive after all these procedures over the past couple of months? And in the next day or two - no drilling today but a lot of pushing the cement into place, etc so will that make the nerve feel tender for a week or so like after a deep filling? Was it'normal' to feel that cold sensation?

LA worn off now and not feeling anything, but should I worry if I do in the next few days? Was so relieved to get out, I wish I''d asked these questions now!

What you've had done won't cause any nerve problems, it all sounds fine so far to me. Feeling cold is a good sign, shows the nerve is still working.

What you've had done won't cause any nerve problems, it all sounds fine so far to me. Feeling cold is a good sign, shows the nerve is still working.

Thanks for the reassurance! It is really appreciated.

Back