• Welcome to Dental Fear Central! This is a place for mutual support and any questions you may have that are related to dental phobia, fear or anxiety. It is run by volunteers with first-hand experience of dental phobia and anxiety together with dental practitioners who like to help. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dental practitioner. If you'd like to use all the features of this forum and share your own experiences, or if you are a dental professional who would like to contribute, register now.

We strive to promote a safe, friendly and trustworthy environment with our team of moderators monitoring all discussions daily.

Integration question

T

tazey

Can you tell if implants have integrated just by looking at them? My consultant said they have but I find it odd that it doesn't need a scan or xray to confirm it.

M

MountainMama

Good question. I hope one of the dentists in here can answer you. I had to have a torque test for mine, but mine was a single one, not whole mouth. Maybe it is different?

Did they give you a timeline for getting the teeth?

T

tazey

Good question. I hope one of the dentists in here can answer you. I had to have a torque test for mine, but mine was a single one, not whole mouth. Maybe it is different?

Did they give you a timeline for getting the teeth?
Nope 😕 will update my journal 2moro.

C

comfortdentist

Verified dentist
1. Put a torque wrench on the implant
2. Use a stability testing device
3. Most all the time if the implant feels fine a couple of months after the surgery and the tissue is good then its fine

M

MountainMama

Nope 😕 will update my journal 2moro.
Ugh. My surgeon took an x ray as well, to check bone structure before doing the torque test.

Edited to add that I just saw comfortdentist's answer and my surgeon did say that generally if there is no pain or swelling, or redness in the gums, and the bone structure was good before, it usually means everything is fine.

T

tazey

1. Put a torque wrench on the implant
2. Use a stability testing device
3. Most all the time if the implant feels fine a couple of months after the surgery and the tissue is good then its fine
Well I guess that's what he was doing there was a lot of screwing+unscrewing (+pain) just would have been better if people explain what they are doing.

M

MountainMama

The screwing and unscrewing was most likely the torque test. I thought you meant they just looked at the implants, without touching them.

With mine, the surgeon unscrewed the healing cap, then used this tiny tool to test the implant. It felt like a pulling sensation. It was painful when he put the healing cap back on, because it pinched the gums a bit.

T

tazey

The screwing and unscrewing was most likely the torque test. I thought you meant they just looked at the implants, without touching them.

With mine, the surgeon unscrewed the healing cap, then used this tiny tool to test the implant. It felt like a pulling sensation. It was painful when he put the healing cap back on, because it pinched the gums a bit.
So how much more would need doing after that?

B

Birmanclaws

Well done! You should be good to go to the next stage, which would be taking impressions, making the crowns and fitting them. Did they take impressions yesterday? When is your next appointment?

M

MountainMama

So how much more would need doing after that?
That is it. Now you get impressions and the actual teeth fitted. (Probably some fittings to check the fit of the teeth before the final placement.) I am still waiting on my crown for the implant that is good to go, since I had to get another inplant next to it. The surgeon recommended getting both those crowns together, so I have to wait until the new implant is integrated now.

T

tazey

Well done! You should be good to go to the next stage, which would be taking impressions, making the crowns and fitting them. Did they take impressions yesterday? When is your next appointment?
He did bottom impressions,not till Feb. 😟

T

tazey

That is it. Now you get impressions and the actual teeth fitted. (Probably some fittings to check the fit of the teeth before the final placement.) I am still waiting on my crown for the implant that is good to go, since I had to get another inplant next to it. The surgeon recommended getting both those crowns together, so I have to wait until the new implant is integrated now.
Mmm dont think that will be all some how a while back he was on about snap ins see how they go first,basically I don't have a clue. What If they still look ugly in feb then what? I'm not going into a 7th yr of this.

M

MountainMama

Mmm dont think that will be all some how a while back he was on about snap ins see how they go first,basically I don't have a clue. What If they still look ugly in feb then what? I'm not going into a 7th yr of this.
The fittings are where I assumed the snap ins would be tested, to see how they would look before getting permanent ones made.

I have no idea how it works, but with the snap ins, I would assume you could say what you didn't like, and they could possibly adjust them. I really don't know, though.

T

tazey

I don't even want snap ins tho+he knows it yet still trying to drag it out as long as possible. 🙄