• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Interesting article about mouthrinse

J

jonnyjonny_uk

Former Member
I have long been a sufferer of bleeding gums and found this article interesting.

The American Dental Association (ADA) today announced new advice to consumers about good oral health habits. For the first time, the ADA will now supplement its recommendations with the message that the use of ADA-Accepted antimicrobial mouthrinse helps prevent and reduce plaque and gingivitis. The long-standing ADA recommendations for good oral hygiene include brushing, flossing, a healthy diet and visiting the dentist.

LISTERINE® Antiseptic, the only ADA-Accepted, nationally branded, over-the-counter antimicrobial mouthrinse, has been proven to help prevent and reduce plaque and gingivitis in more than 30 clinical studies. Gingivitis, which affects more than half of all adult Americans at some point in their lives, is an inflammation of the gums caused by the build up of plaque along the gum line.

The ADA continues to recommend that people brush twice a day with an ADA-Accepted fluoride toothpaste; clean between their teeth with an ADA-Accepted floss or ADA-Accepted interdental cleaner; eat a balanced diet and limit between meal snacks; and visit their dentist regularly for professional cleanings and oral examinations. In addition, the ADA now advises:

Use of an ADA-Accepted antimicrobial mouthrinse or toothpaste helps prevent and reduce plaque and gingivitis

Use of an ADA-Accepted fluoride mouthrinse helps prevent and reduce tooth decay.

"The ADA's recognition of the importance of antimicrobial mouthrinses reinforces the idea that brushing and flossing alone may not always be enough to prevent the build up of plaque that can lead to the gum disease gingivitis, which many adult Americans have, and don't even realize it," says Lori Kumar, PhD, Vice President, Oral Care Research and Development, McNEIL-PPC, Inc., makers of LISTERINE® Antiseptic mouthwash. "Adding LISTERINE® Antiseptic to a routine of brushing and flossing has been shown to reduce up to 52 percent more plaque and up to 21 percent more gingivitis than brushing and flossing alone."

Rinsing Removes Harmful Bacteria that Brushes and Floss May Miss

Plaque, a soft, sticky film of bacteria, is directly responsible for the development of gingivitis, an early and reversible form of gum disease. Left untreated, gingivitis can lead to more advanced gum disease, also called periodontitis, which can lead to tooth loss, and may be linked to health problems elsewhere in the body.

Twice-daily brushing and once-daily flossing, which the ADA continues to stress, can be effective at removing plaque from the tooth surfaces • but the teeth represent only about 25 percent of the surface area inside the mouth. An antimicrobial mouthrinse reaches the whole mouth, killing germs in "reservoirs" where plaque bacteria survive. Adding an antimicrobial mouthrinse to a routine of brushing and flossing could be particularly beneficial to those who are older or physically impaired and may not have the dexterity to brush and floss effectively.

New Advice Consistent With Established Research

"The ADA's emphasis on the value of antimicrobial mouthrinses is consistent with the existing scientific research which has firmly established the role bacteria play in the development of gum disease and the effectiveness of antimicrobial mouthrinses in combating those bacteria," said Dr. Sebastian G. Ciancio, Distinguished Service Professor & Chair, Department of Periodontics & Endodontics, University of Buffalo SUNY School of Dental Medicine.

In addition to affirming the benefits of ADA-Accepted antimicrobial mouth rinses, the ADA also highlighted the use of ADA-Accepted antimicrobial toothpastes to help combat plaque, and the use of ADA-Accepted fluoride mouth rinses to help prevent tooth decay. All three health messages are complementary to the association's previously existing guidelines.

"The American Dental Association's confirmation of the importance of antiseptic mouthrinse and its oral health benefits reflects the organization's commitment to providing its members and consumers with information reflecting the latest scientific advances in good oral hygiene," said Kathleen Weber, Vice President, Oral Care, McNEIL-PPC, Inc. "As a leader in the oral health industry, we support the ADA in its efforts to educate the public about the importance of oral health."

I know the reason for my gum problems is probably due to not visiting the dentist for over 15 years but unfortunately my phobia has beaten me for the time being :(

I suspect a certain dentist on here would strongly disagree with this decision taken by the ADA....

i suspect the same as lilone :rolleyes:

So are we to think its good to use mouthrinse now or not? I want to do anything I can to help my gums without having to take a trip to the dentist!!

I can't really speak for him, but I'll tell you that I suspect Gordan will suggest that you use a salt water rinse and maybe flouride rinse. Certainly nothing with alcohol in it such as Listerine since it kills good bacteria as well as bad and dries out your mouth (saliva is necessary...self cleansing).

Can i point everyone's attention to the dentistry questions area and the postsing on corsodyl mouthwash. I think both gordon and me (a dental hygienist) had similiar views that we posted about mouthwashes. :mad:

Just a quick note about accreditaion by the American dental association, the British dental association accreditited ribena tooth kind a few years ago and this turned out to be less than tooth kind and they had to back track very quickly with very red faces!! so just be careful as accreditations often mean diddly squat! :o

Agree with the comments above... another interesting example in recent times (non-dental related) was the finding that the US government's and FDA advice on limiting the intake of seafood during pregnancy means, err, diddly squat... loved this bit:

"Joseph R Hibbeln, from the US National Institutes of Health, who lead the Bristol study - entitled Children of the 90s, published in this week's Lancet - said seafood was the predominant source of long-chain omega-3 fatty acids, essential for development of the nervous system. "We found that when women had low levels of seafood consumption the outcome was exactly the opposite of what was assumed [by the advice of the US government].""

jonnyjonny_uk said:
So are we to think its good to use mouthrinse now or not? I want to do anything I can to help my gums without having to take a trip to the dentist!!

That is exactly 100% how i am feeling !

Although i have other reasons to need to see a dentist :scared: :(

lanniesmith said:
Can i point everyone's attention to the dentistry questions area and the postsing on corsodyl mouthwash. I think both gordon and me (a dental hygienist) had similiar views that we posted about mouthwashes.  :mad:

Just a quick note about accreditaion by the American dental association, the British dental association accreditited ribena tooth kind a few years ago and this turned out to be less than tooth kind and they had to back track very quickly with very red faces!! so just be careful as accreditations often mean diddly squat!  :o

That was my post  :)  I'm now using Saltwater rinses 3 times a day. They are gross & make gag & feel sick. But i'm guessing better than using mouthwash.?

Mum keeps telling me Saltwater is good for healing wounds & infalmed gums.

Its really reassuring to know that you cant trust anything the Brisitsh and American Dental Association say, what are you to believe?

Thanks for the advice.

John

Back