• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Intravascular injection

A

Andybonse

Hey!

I have a huge fear of the anaesthesia being injected by mistake into a blood vessel and dieing from it due to lidocaine or whatever toxicity!

Good for you.

Assuming you're a normal adult the dentist would need to repeat that feat around forty times.

Good for you.

Assuming you're a normal adult the dentist would need to repeat that feat around forty times.

I read that 1 Carpule has 34mg of lidocaine in and toxic dose in my weight is 400mg, but isn’t that when it’s not injected straight into an artery?

Are you allergic to it?

I have never heard of anyone dying from a local anaesthetic at the dentist.

Are you allergic to it?

I have never heard of anyone dying from a local anaesthetic at the dentist.

not allergic just read that it can be injected into a blood vessel and cause toxicity and death so made me so anxious? The Adrenalin I know is fine just makes your heart race but the lidocaine or articaine or whatever can cause toxicity and stop the heart and stuff so I panic!

Like most phobias yours is totally without logic, it's what makes them such "fun" to have to deal with. Bit like my fish phobia :)

It simply is not possible to inject sufficient local anaesthetic solution into a vein, simply impossible, the veins in the area where the injection goes are so small and delicate they would be utterly destroyed within the first 2 or 3 attempts.

Remember too, the murderous dentist would be aiming for a structure about 1mm in diameter which is 3cm buried inside the tissues and completely invisible.

Injecting into an artery with a dental needle is simply impossible, the arterial wall is far too thick and the fine dental needle won't penetrate it.

If the solution contains adrenaline then the toxic dose is higher, 5mg/kg roughly. Even at excess of this dose, death isn't likely.

Back