• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Irritated tooth nerve questions

R

RaptorZX3

Ok i did had this problem a few times before, and it's always worrying me, but eventually it goes away, it can take like 2 weeks up to maybe a month or so.

But i'm being careful of what i eat, not too hot, not too cold...sometimes not, and i think when i went to Tim Hortons to take a hot chocolate with a friend, the drink was way too hot even after putting it some cream. I did had irritated tooth nerve but it calmed down, and 1 week later i went there with a friend of mine (it was a Tuesday i think), and days later (it was a Friday i believe), it came back.

I have some questions about this.

1- Does an irritated nerve can be triggered by something too hot or too cold that i drank or ate like 1-2 days before? (it doesn't seem to happen right away, but 1 up to maybe 3 days later)
2- If the irritated/inflammed nerve isn't infected by something (like cavity or whatever), it will eventually calm down, right? (even if it take maybe like a month)
3- Is it normal that, on a tooth with a big filling, that the nerve can take more time to calm down?
4- Aleve or Advil doesn't seem to do anything about anti-inflammatory purpose. I remember taking those while i DID had this inflammed tooth nerve, and i don't think it was helping...though i was still taking them hoping it DOES something i'm not aware of. Is it normal that Ibuprofen or Naproxen doesn't really work on some kinds of inflammation? Also, is it possible that my body is getting used to this/these kind(s) of drug?
5- The tooth/teeth in question (2 molars, lower left) doesn't seem to be sensitive to pressure, though i tend to eat softer foods, and kinda avoid bubble gum since all that damned saga is happening (since summer 2012 if i remember), so it is normal for an irritated tooth nerve to not be sensitive to pressure?
6- Also, it's one of the first time(s) for me to have this since one of the molar chipped, dentist said they're able to repair it (with amalgam), so i wonder, is it normal for it to give me a bit more pain at times since the filling is bigger than before?
7- I wonder if i stop drinking coffee...can it also help in the healing? (i'm thinking that maybe coffee could interfere in the healing process...)
8- do you have any tips to help me with this?

thanks for answering my questions, i know i'm asking a lot, but i guess it's more like anxiety talking...and i do need to go out more often and think more about something else. I'm trying the best i personally can for this problem to go away. Some days it feel a bit better, some days it's coming back a little more...

i would like some answers to my questions, please. thank you very much...

Hey i think you should see a dentist. I don't think the tooth is going to get better on it's own and might actually get worse. You should figure out the type of pain you're having. . if you eat ice cream and it hurts really quick but take it away and the pain goes away, then the tooth might need a filling or have a crack or exposed roots, etc. BUT if the pain is dull, achy pain, and last for awhile, then you might need a root canal or have other issue under the gums. It's best to go to your dentist so you catch this early!

well the tooth/teeth (the last 2 molars on the lower left) in question, initially, the dentist wanted to remove them, but then i told him that he told me, before, that he wanted to put in fillings. But i remember he told me after putting in fillings, that i may have some "problems" sometimes, so i guess this is the problem he was talking about.

Lately the pain seem to be less present, so it's a bit better...i think there's a part where i don't need to panic and get anxious...i mean...it seem like psychology-wise it seem to do a big part in the pain.

I will see a dentist next week (Nov.7) for my clean-up and exam (they take x-ray with the device that go around your mouth), so if there's something wrong with the tooth or the filling, they might be able to see it.

Root canal treatment is way too expensive on a molar (about 1000$ each molar) so this is why i guess i have to deal with the occasional pain it may give me. For now i tend to take anti-inflammatory, i brush my teeth often, i floss more often as well.

But about the pain i could feel after eating or drinking...since i have this problem right now, i'm trying to drink not-too-cold and not-too-hot liquids and foods, and so far it seem to not give me immediate pain.

Last edited:
well the tooth/teeth (the last 2 molars on the lower left) in question, initially, the dentist wanted to remove them, but then i told him that he told me, before, that he wanted to put in fillings. But i remember he told me after putting in fillings, that i may have some "problems" sometimes, so i guess this is the problem he was talking about.

Lately the pain seem to be less present, so it's a bit better...i think there's a part where i don't need to panic and get anxious...i mean...it seem like psychology-wise it seem to do a big part in the pain.

I will see a dentist next week (Nov.7) for my clean-up and exam (they take x-ray with the device that go around your mouth), so if there's something wrong with the tooth or the filling, they might be able to see it.

Root canal treatment is way too expensive on a molar (about 1000$ each molar) so this is why i guess i have to deal with the occasional pain it may give me. For now i tend to take anti-inflammatory, i brush my teeth often, i floss more often as well.

But about the pain i could feel after eating or drinking...since i have this problem right now, i'm trying to drink not-too-cold and not-too-hot liquids and foods, and so far it seem to not give me immediate pain.

Hi, I was wondering if your problem got resolved?

I have a similar problem with a back tooth after a deep filling for the past year where hot drinks trigger pressure and aches that does not go away until I put ice on tooth calm the nerve down then its ok so be avoiding anything too hot. I think I may need a root canal.

Thanks

Back