• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is a cracked tooth a dental emergency?

N

noha21

I have an appointment in a month and a half but I've recently cracked my tooth like a chunk of tooth has come off, its pretty gross. it's been decaying pretty bad for months now, and I think I have a cavity behind that tooth too :/ in a month and a half it's obviously going to get worse but I'm not in pain so I don't know if it's considered an emergency or not. I just don't want it to be worse, would it be unethical if I lied and said I was in pain so I can get an emergency appointment?

This would likely classify as an emergency even without the pain. The best thing to do is call the dentist and say exactly what happened. Do not lie to them about pain. They should try to get you in as soon as possible even without pain if it cracked as bad as you describe.

Yes it is and I made an emergency appointment for this reason recently, having allowed a problem to get worse for too long. I'm very glad I did because I definitely would have lost the tooth otherwise, and came closer to doing so than I would ever want to happen again.

I wasn't in pain at all btw because this was on a tooth where I'd had root canal. If anything, not having pain can make it worse because you don't necessarily feel how bad it has become, and this can allow things to deteriorate further without you noticing.

Good luck!

Yes try to get to see the dentist if you have not so as soon as possible.

I have had problems with my teeth in between appointments in the past in between and have managed to be squeeze in on the day or day after.

Back