• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is a lower partial better than full bottom denture

B

Bransicle

Hey everyone. I am 27 years old and am getting all my remaining upper teeth and an immediate denture in about a week, also I a, having two pulled on the bottom, leaving 6 teeth and will get a partial for those. I had chemo and radiation to my head which has caused my teeth to fall out over the past 6 years and I've spent so much money on my teeth and am still paying it off. My teeth ache, all of them and the one dentist said he could take all of the bottom but I would probably regret it and once they are gone, they are gone. The teeth that will remain, still hurt but the dentist said they looked pretty good. Will a partial help stabilize them, or make them hurt worse. Should I get them all pulled? How long will my teeth last with a partial? Should I just go ahead and get them all out. I also don't have insurance, only a little student loan money and once it's gone, I couldn't afford another denture after a partial. The reason the dr's are hesitant because. Like I said all my teeth hurt and they said it might not be from my teeth and there is a chance he takes all of them and I still have pain. I am so nervous. I should prob just trust this dentist. She has been amazing and they are helping me with finances so I can eat and smile again. But I hear ppl say they wish they kept more teeth even if they weren't perfect instead of full dentures. I was also told it will be difficult because I have very little saliva and sensitive gums. They had started to recede. Anyway, thanks for your input?

hi are you from the uk? if so then because you've lost your teeth from cancer you can be eligible for implants on the nhs. glad you're better now though :)

No I'm in the us but thanks

great to know the chemo has worked. It may be that the remaining teeth will eventually fail but a part lower is much easier to wear and tolerate than a full lower denture.
This way you get to learn how to cope with a denture before losing all of your teeth. Keep the remaining teeth clean and be careful with your diet and you could get years out of them.

Back