• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is bone graft really needed for all implants, and cost?

J

jobabrinks

I need to have an implant done on one of my front teeth. Apparently it is the only option.

I have visited a few doctors, all oral surgeons and they all say that they pretty much use bone grafting whether the patient needs it or not, to at least fill in the hole left by extracting the root.

The bone above the tooth in question is apparently somewhat lacking although all the doctors said they wouldn't be able to truly tell until they cut me open.

However, I do know that some dentists that do implants without bone grafts. They just put it in the same day.

My question is, "Is a bone graft really necessary for otherwise good bone structure?"

And also, what is a typical cost for the additional bone graft? $1000 extra, that seems what I am getting quoted.

Clarification on Bone grafting and implants:

Implants are a great substitute for natural roots but they aren't identical replacements and as such need better conditions. The field of implant dentistry has changed tremendously over the years and today we now now what an implant needs for best long term success.

Optimally an implant needs several millimeters of bone and attached firm tissue around the implant. We use to think that just 2mm was enough we now know it is more than that. We also know that you need twice the amount of firm gum around an implant as a tooth so you could need a gum graft in addition to a bone graft.

When a tooth is removed and optimal bone grafting is done at the time of extraction there is still some unavoidable bone loss especially at the gum edge. So my answer is that if possible all extracted teeth that you plan to replace with either an implant or a denture should have a bone graft at time of extraction. If not possible at that time due to infection then 6-8 weeks afterwards the area should be grafted.
The above guidelines don't mean that it is impossible not to place an implant in a non grafted site just that statistically it is better off with a graft.

As to the cost of the graft.... it depends on the defect as to the cost. A small defect with an extraction is the lowest cost while a major defect in a ridge involves much more material, extra membranes, and other materials so it can easily cost 3-5,000+.

Back