• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is extraction necessary?

S

sammyf

Hi.

I have two teeth broken to the gumline. A few years ago I finally worked up the courage to see a dentist aftter many years of being too afraid (multiple bad experiences as a child).

The dentist I saw was not a very nice lady. She was critical and unsympathetic. I had a hygeine appointment and two fillings. We discussed my broken teeth and their extraction but she told me I would need to replace the teeth with implants, otherwise the surrounding teeth would move out of place, look unsightly and cause me further issues. No other option was offered.

I cannot afford implants, and as the broken teeth had never given me any pain or infection, I did not return to have the extractions.

Is what she said true and are implants my only option? On of the teeth next to the bottom one has a filling. If broken teeth have not caused me any issues do they really need removing? I know I need to go to the dentist but this has given me an additional anxiety.

Hi Sammyf,

Implants are usually not the only option. In most cases also a removable partial denture is a legitimate option and in some cases also a bridge, depends on the situation.
Replacing the missing teeth is important not only for the quality of chewing but also to stabilize the teeth and prevent teeth movement. This movement takes years and can make it more difficult adding teeth in the future.
It sounds like you did not have not found the right dentist yet. I invite you to watch my video about finding the right dentist who is good with fearful patients. Hope it helps.

Back