• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is flying ok in between root canal treatment?

L

loopylass

Hi, I am is process of having two teeth root canalled, both have had initial clean and one is due to be sealed and finished on Feb 10. I have a flight on March 17 so should I make sure the other tooth is finished by then too? I am concerned that the cabin pressure may cause pain or crack it if it’s not completely filled.

Hi loopylass,

I wouldn't know a reason why flying between root canal treatments wouldn't be possible. We recently had a thread about flying with dental issues. It doesn't directly refer to root canal treatment, but might help anyway:

All the best wishes

Thank you Enarete - I read that, but what I’m especially concerned about is there may be air left in the tooth where the nerve used to be, and the air pressure could cause this to expand

I talked to a friend who is a dentist. The pressure in a airplane would never be sufficient to cause a tooth to crack. The only thing he is mindful about is teeth with an active infection that sometimes bother and need attention in between visits. Flying is still possible - with a bit of a back up plan of what to do if the tooth starts hurting while you are on travels.
So as usually, talk to your dentist and let them know you will have a flight so they can arrange things for you.

Thank you very much Enarete

I flew with a lot of dental issues but not an incomplete root canal. The dentist and endodontist told me that the planes are pressurized so that you shouldn’t have issues. I actually had an active infection when I was flying, on my front tooth. My endo sent me with antibiotics, just in case.

I actually had an active infection when I was flying, on my front tooth. My endo sent me with antibiotics, just in case.

That's what my friend told me. The bacteria present in an actively infected tooth produce gases that sometimes can cause the tooth to hurt, which can be, in case you are on travels or holidays and can't just pop in to your practice pretty annoying so either giving antibiotics in case this happens or leaving the tooth open so that the gas can get out or using a very soft filling that the people can puncture to allow the gas to leave would be the "back-up plan options" that my friend told me about.

That's what my friend told me. The bacteria present in an actively infected tooth produce gases that sometimes can cause the tooth to hurt, which can be, in case you are on travels or holidays and can't just pop in to your practice pretty annoying so either giving antibiotics in case this happens or leaving the tooth open so that the gas can get out or using a very soft filling that the people can puncture to allow the gas to leave would be the "back-up plan options" that my friend told me about.

Yes, and I never had any issues with pain. The endo said I could take a Tylenol as a preventative if I was really worried.

Thank you for reassurances, I’m still waiting for the first tooth to settle after a root canal. It’s been nearly 3 weeks and I’m getting odd twinges and sensations - I thought I’d be over that by now

Back