• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is it an abcess, is it gum disease? I’m so confused!

Oh and my gums are really red around the RCT tooth, the one in front and the one behind…is this just residual infection from before that I may need to let settle or get antibiotics for? Or could this be gum disease? I’m just fed up of being in discomfort now. Haven’t slept from the anxiety of it all!

I have a similar issue to you. Had rc treatment on 2nd premolar and retreat on 1st as dentist i went to years ago didn't go right to the end of canal and i had some flare up when second premolar got infected. I've been struggling with these 2 teeth since May. As infection is localised it's not getting any worse but also no better. :cry: Booked to go back in Feb to clean out again and fill however I'm getting to the stage of thinking it's just going to have to be removing these teeth or at least the retreated one. No pain on biting but very red gum above and still lumpy abscess which hasn't gone and heavy feeling under eye. Dentist doesn't seem at all bothered and said waiting all this time is not a problem as the infection is controlled and the body will absorb the left over abscess over time. Don't think it's looking that way for me but guess I just have to go in faith..
Hope you get yours sorted soon. It's so draining :cry:

I'm sorry, with this being all spread out over 2 pages it's tough to make sure I've covered everything! The redness on the gums is nothing to do with the root canal.

I have no way to tell via the internet if it's gum disease or not :) , would need to physically examine the area. It's likely some mild inflammation perhaps you cut the gum slightly with floss or with a sharp bristle on a new toothbrush? Sometimes a wickedly sharp corn flake or crisp can do it.

The symptoms of a failing root canal are:
1) Extreme pain on biting/heat
2) Movement of the tooth
3) Swelling below the lower jaw

Kind of in that order. Doesn't sound like any of those?

Thanks for the reply @Gordon !

I wondered if the gum tenderness was residual infection from the affected tooth that would go away over time. I don’t recall cutting the gum but I have been thoroughly brushing and flossing. The dental dam kept popping off and she had to keep putting it back on maybe the messing around could have irritated it I dunno. My husband insists my gums there aren’t red to look at…starting to wonder if it’s all in my head. ??‍♀️

1) No, not extreme pain just a slight twinge and gum sensitivity. More so the fear of the pain is making me scared to eat on it if that makes sense? It just doesn’t feel “normal”.
2) No looseness.
3) No swelling at all although it was tender under my jaw and on my jaw joint but isn’t now.

Can I ask why the lower jaw would be affected by an RCT failure on an upper molar? Just for my own curiosity lol.

Thanks again for being so helpful! :)

I spoke to my dentist surgery today (the endo wasn’t in but another dentist called me back) and she said she thinks it’s just bad gum irritation and could be made worse by me being anxious about it clenching and to do salt water rinses and give it time to calm down as people heal at different rates. Said to call back if I get increasing pain/swelling.

Thanks for the reply @Gordon !

Can I ask why the lower jaw would be affected by an RCT failure on an upper molar? Just for my own curiosity lol.

Because a certain elderly idiot forgot it was an upper molar not a lower one!!! I'll get me coat...

Because a certain elderly idiot forgot it was an upper molar not a lower one!!! I'll get me coat...
????

Sorry Gordon that did make me laugh!! You’re not an elderly idiot at all, you’ve been wonderful and I cannot thank you enough for all your advice and help. It seems to have settled more in the last 24 hours so hopefully it just needed time for the inflammation/infection to heal :).

Thank you again for everything, you’re a diamond!

Back