• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

is it common to relapse into dental phobia even after making so much progress or is it just me?

G

gamergirl123

Former Member
is it common to relapse into dental phobia even after making so much progress or is it just me?

Or could it just be an "I;m overwhelmed" scenario? From march though june, I had to endure a lot. The initial visit, deep cleaning, multiple extractions over 2 trips, and a couple fillings. Since the second extraction round, I've had to go in on 4 occasions for the lower partials(2 adjustments, one trial fitting of the new lower that had to be made, and then getting the new lower), and 2 upper adjustments plus a relining trip/getting a filling checked out.

Within the past month, I began dreading the thoughts of MAYBE going to the check up in December and the thoughts of MAYBE having to go in for an upper adjustment and getting the filling checked again and I was debating about skippin the whole ordeal. I couldn't figure out what I was feeling recently until it hit me last night. I was just automatically doing various dental searches including dental phobia. Its only then that I realized that the searches are the same ones i was doing b4 all this started and were consistent with severe dental phobia.

Problem is that I have no choice but to go in now. You see, as long as i wore the partials at least once a week, i avoided problems and thus a visit. But the problem is that i somehow sustained an injury to my left arm consisting of my elbow and at least 1 area mid arm that left me unable to attempt to put in my partials until today since I couldn't bend my arm w/o pain. When I went to put them in, the left part of the upper partial is refusing to stay put worse then b4 and it feels like i'm chewing on the left wire worse then in the past. I can't even put my lower in with the upper since things refused to sit right. I am currently sitting here feeling sick to my stomach dreading the visit and wishing I had never started this journey.

Quick note: For those of you not familiar with partials or haven't read my journal that I have going, my uppers are made up of a section of fake teeth with a wire on each side that hooks onto a real tooth and part of my problems stem from most of my upper teeth being smaller then an average persons.

On top of that, to add insult to injury, I was hoping to line up an order with a guy who sells lego online and do an in person pick up this weekend to save on shipping costs(we are going to be in the area anyway) but i'm not sure if i'll want to do that now and might have to hold off. The only time I've met up with him was at his booth at the flea market when I had my partials in. This is one of those extremely rare cases that i'm actually worried about having my partials in when leaving the house. And yes I tend to go commando outside the house especially if there's a chance we might be grabbing something to eat. don't know about the other partial wearers here but I can't really eat with mine in.

EDIT: UGH! make that having to go in for upper adjustment, filling check, AND lower adjustment. part of the fake tooth in front is ramming into one of my real teeth. :mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:
Re: is it common to relapse into dental phobia even after making so much progress or is it just me?

Oh, darling, trust me you are not the only one! I'm so close to relapsing as well...I'm just too overwhelmed by it all! I've got several other health issues in addition to all the dental work ahead of me, I have no medical insurance, I owe thousands for some rabies vaccinations that I'm trying to get assistance for, things are a complete mess with my family as they've always been, I'm trying to get my license but no one will teach me to drive or anything (it's sad but I'm 18) and I desperately need a job ( especially one with dental insurance) so I can pay for things like the dental work I need done. Didn't mean to throw all that together but it's just that everything is snowballing...and I easily understand how you could get sick of it all.

Try to hang in there. You've done great so far, and even if your next visit isn't all peaches and cream you will get through it one way or another. Some of get more lemons than apples in life...it's not fair, obviously, but there's nothing we can do except feel bitter over it or try to make some lemonade. I don't think most people like being stuck "in the chair", especially not constantly. But it sounds like you've really have made a lot of progress which I applaud you for and I don't think it would be very beneficial to stop now, not when you've come this far.

I have two fillings I'm going to make an appointment for (it needed to be done a lot sooner) and I'm dreading it because I'm so sick of being in the damn chair:mad: I just feel like the dentist is my enemy...I don't like her but I'm stuck with her for right now, and I'm terrified I'll end up with two more root canals when the damn fillings aren't good enough because "the cavities are so deep"! I'll also be getting my root canal finished up on the 16th. Then I'm putting everything else on hold until I can pay for the rest since it's not major stuff like the other dental work has been...although it does need to be taken care of, especially the wisdom teeth.

If I could I would wave a magic wand and make all of our problems disappear :butterfly: but sadly all we can do is push ahead and make our way to a successful recovery. If you ever want someone to talk to, you can PM me :) I wouldn't mind at all! Sometimes it's a lot easier when you've got someone to vent to. Wishing you all the best, don't give up!

Re: is it common to relapse into dental phobia even after making so much progress or is it just me?

For what it's worth - your post, and the response from ihatedentsists, made me think about how challenging journeys don't tend to be straightforward and without loops and twists. As a person with zero sense of direction (I can get lost even with a map) reading this reminds me that we don't have clear and objective maps to show us the way through the emotional journey such as you are on. To me, it sounds like you are coping with this impressively - experiencing doubt, panic and wanting to turn back when feeling lost are understandable but I hear that you are reaching out to re-orient yourself. What you are facing is tremendously challenging and you are in it, not yet out the other side and that's a tough place to be. Isn't it human to want to flee to the familiar place we know when overwhelmed and dreading what is ahead? For me, that familiar place is denial and avoidance so it's familiar, yes (I was there for 18 years) but it's a guilty and shameful place - sadly, I'm just used to living with those feelings and it will take time to establish a healthier familiar place!
You have taken courageous steps to improve your health, I personally don't believe you can undo them - that doesn't mean going forward is a neat and straight line without its doubts and those frustrating and terrifying familiar obstacles. I hope you can give yourself the credit you deserve for getting through what you already have, if not, please have some from me!

Back