• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is it definitely safe 100 hours after tooth extraction?

R

ripply

It's the dry socket fear again. I've been trying my best to distract myself and telling myself to stop being silly, but nothing has worked. I'm so anxious about it I haven't been able to concentrate on anything. I can't even speak to anyone on the phone as I'm scared talking will move the clot. I'm too scared to eat. I'm scared to sleep in case I end up poking at the socket with my tongue. When I do sleep, I wake up in a panic. I'm scared of moving much in case my blood pressure increases and that dislodges the clot. Too scared to do anything really.

All I've been doing is checking the time constantly and having a look at the extraction site regularly. There is white stuff on it, which I think is a good sign, but I've realised that underneath the white stuff there is still a dark clot. I thought it is meant to heal from the inside so the white stuff should begin below the clot, not above it, so now I'm even more frightened. Also, at the side, where most of the stitches are, there is no white stuff at all. I read that some people got a dry socket even a week after the extraction.

Could anyone reassure me that it will be ok? Does it sound like it's healing properly or is it still risky? I'm so worn out I can't cope with this much longer.

Hi yes you will be fine now, you are usually safe from dry socket 72hours after extraction and you are well past that. As long as you follow the aftercare instructions and have no pain or bad taste you are going to be okay.

The white stuff is good and means you are healing, it will come off and you shouldn't worry when it does this is normal. The extraction site does heal form the inside out. You can brush your teeth just be careful near the extraction sites. I will put a couple of links here for you which might help with what to eat. We tend not to after extractions but when you do have something soft you will feel much better.

I hope this helps :butterfly:

Back