• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Is it normal for new fillings to feel ‘chalky’?

F

fortcon

I had 2 fillings done in neighbouring teeth on Monday and when I feel the teeth with my tongue they feel kind of ‘chalky’ compared to other fillings that I have. It’s been so long since I last had one, but does a filling become more smooth over time or is it a matter of getting used to a different feeling?

They’re teeth that I used to constantly get food out of the crevices with my tongue after eating, so now when my tongue goes to those teeth it feels strange, like there’s something there that won’t come out, 😆

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
What are they filled with?

F

fortcon

Composite as far as I'm aware.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
They should feel quite smooth and polished then. I'd probably ask for them to be polished if it was me. It's a 5 minute job and doesn't hurt.

F

fortcon

Thanks, I’ve started to get used to the feeling of the filled teeth, but when I run my tongue along my teeth the texture of those teeth feel different & didn’t know if that was normal.

S

scaredandanxious88

Hi there,

I had a pretty large filling put in and it was chalky as you described. I'm not 100% sure what the material was, but it was white and quite pricey (sigh).

It has smoothed out a bit. Not nearly as rough as it felt before :)

Punkerpants

Punkerpants

I have composite fillings and they definitely felt chalky at first. Not rough exactly, but different texture than teeth and very noticeable to me. I was constantly running my tongue over them.

Not sure if I just got used to it or if they smoothed out, but I didn't notice them as much after awhile.