• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is it normal for new fillings to feel ‘chalky’?

F

fortcon

I had 2 fillings done in neighbouring teeth on Monday and when I feel the teeth with my tongue they feel kind of ‘chalky’ compared to other fillings that I have. It’s been so long since I last had one, but does a filling become more smooth over time or is it a matter of getting used to a different feeling?

They’re teeth that I used to constantly get food out of the crevices with my tongue after eating, so now when my tongue goes to those teeth it feels strange, like there’s something there that won’t come out, ?

What are they filled with?

Composite as far as I'm aware.

They should feel quite smooth and polished then. I'd probably ask for them to be polished if it was me. It's a 5 minute job and doesn't hurt.

Thanks, I’ve started to get used to the feeling of the filled teeth, but when I run my tongue along my teeth the texture of those teeth feel different & didn’t know if that was normal.

Hi there,

I had a pretty large filling put in and it was chalky as you described. I'm not 100% sure what the material was, but it was white and quite pricey (sigh).

It has smoothed out a bit. Not nearly as rough as it felt before :)

I have composite fillings and they definitely felt chalky at first. Not rough exactly, but different texture than teeth and very noticeable to me. I was constantly running my tongue over them.

Not sure if I just got used to it or if they smoothed out, but I didn't notice them as much after awhile.

Back