• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Is it normal to be in unbearable pain a couple of days after extraction if it's not dry socket?

I

impossible

Is it normal to be in unbearable pain a couple of days after extraction if it's not dry socket?

I guess I'm basically asking - I know some pain is normal but should it unbearable to the point of bringing me to tears?

I had three wisdom teeth (two upper one lower impacted) out 48 hours ago and ever since the local anesthetic wore off I've been in agony. I've taken every pain medication I could get my hands on (cocodamol 30/500 being the strongest) and it's not touching it at all. Is it normal to be in this much pain? I had my other lower one out last year and I had no pain at all. This one was tricky and the dentist told me he struggled with it and it took a while.

I don't think it's dry socket because I've had pain since it happened. The clot still seems to be there from what I can see.

Just a bit worried and I'm in so much pain I'm dizzy and nauseous. Haven't eaten in two days because the pain is making me so sick. I don't know how to get any stronger pain medication either.

Any advice is appreciated. I'm at wits end.

I

impossible

Re: Is it normal to be in unbearable pain a couple of days after extraction if it's not dry socket?

Bump?

carole

carole

Super Moderator
Re: Is it normal to be in unbearable pain a couple of days after extraction if it's not dry socket?

No it isn't it sounds like you have a dry socket or an infection or both go and see your dentist as soon as you can and they will be able to get you out of pain and treat it very easily.

Sorry I missed this I hope it helps you a bit even though it is a late reply.